Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

new muffler...car won't start???

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Check the timing belt for proper synchronization of the cam and crank at TDC1 (see diagram above).

Old 09-11-2008, 05:16 AM
HCF Member

So you still think timing belt seems like the main culprit then? I just wonder that if it is the timing belt, how this no start problem was perfectly timed with the exhaust job. Bad timing

I'm glad this isn't my daily driver since I've been so busy lately. I'm starting to free up some time to start looking into it again though.

So I definitely want to investigate this myself, but never really looked at or tweaked the timing belt before. Is this pretty easy to do then, looks fairly simple by the diagram. But then again diagrams are always a lot nicer looking then the actual car components. Any tips or things I need to look out for when doing this?

Old 09-11-2008, 05:51 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The diagram illustrates how to tell whether the cam and crank are in sync at TDC1. To do this, you need to remove the valve cover and upper timing belt cover and then rotate the crankshaft pulley until the white TDC mark (not group of three marks) perfectly aligns with the pointer. Then, look for at the camshaft pulley to see whether it is or is not similarly situated at TDC as shown in the illustration.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:06 PM
HCF Member
Default Wtf!?

Let's call this coincidence, but I hit my fuse box a few times with a rubber mallet and my car started by applying a little gas (kicking fuse box is an main relay trick).

Anyway, the car is running although it will run for a bit, then rev up and cut out like it's going to stall (but won't) and it will just continue to do this (in neutral). Also there seems to be some white smoke coming from the exhaust pipe. This seems strange to me. It almost seems like it idles slightly faster. What the heck is going on with this car? It was dark out so I don't know if the smoke was blueish or just white.

Don't forget that this is a brand new muffler and this is the first time the car has started since I put the new muffler on...

Last edited by davidt222; 09-20-2008 at 03:50 AM.