Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Oiled generic cotton vs K&N?

Old 01-09-2006, 05:19 PM
HCF Member
Default Oiled generic cotton vs K&N?

I picked up a CAI (Bomz... ebay purchase.....) a little while ago and decided to install just the top half of it since it's winter. I have a K&N cone from my old car that I wanted to use for my Civic, but it has a 3" opening, and the tube is 2.5" (I think). My CAI came with a generic cotton cone filter that fits perfectly with the tubing, so I decided to use the K&N oil spray on the generic and install that.

Basically, I was wondering if there is any real difference between my real K&N cotton vs the generic cotton with the same K&N oil spray? If there is, I plan on putting the K&N on but will need to adapt it to the smaller tubing otherwise I'll just leave it in there< (keep the blue theme...). Thanks for the help.

Old 01-10-2006, 04:15 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Oiled generic cotton vs K&N?

Anyone?

Old 01-12-2006, 03:06 PM

K&N has lifetime guarentee. cotton generic does not. i have a K&N SRI and i love the filter. its what makes the sound different. Use the K&N, the intake howl is sweet.

Old 01-13-2006, 02:51 PM
HCF Member

Both the generic cotton and my K&N sound exactly the same. I'm not concern about the sound, (although it does sound poretty sick...). I'm more concerned about the quality of the two, and whether it makes a difference that I use a generic cotton cone with the K&N filter oil, or the true K&N with the same K&N oil. Since they are both cotton filters with the same oil, is there any difference? Am I running any risk of damaging my motor if I use an oiled generic cotton vs the true K&N? Would there be any performance differences?

Old 01-13-2006, 11:39 PM

i doubt it.