Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

power loss?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 06:56 PM
Default power loss?

I was talking to my buddy who has an integra gsr with all kinds of performance parts on it. except exhaust. i asked him why and he said itll make him loose power if he puts one on. i have a stock manifold and i was looking into buying a header. i have 2.25" piping to a fart can from the cat-back, and i was wondering if i would see a hp gain or loss with the installation of a header.. i got the header $ and all im waiting to click BUY, so any replies would be cool.

Old 04-04-2006, 07:02 PM
Default RE: power loss?

i dont see why u would lose power from an after market exhaust or header...unless the piping is either way to big or way to small.

Old 04-05-2006, 12:39 AM

hm.. dont wanne say your friend is talking bull but as long u get a good name brand there aint gonne be no power lose since they test all there sistems befor they come on the market
and let your friend know that when he doesnt know what hes talking about not to say anything maby he just wanned to keep u slower then him

Old 04-05-2006, 09:49 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

I'm not afraid to say it, your friend doesn't know ****.

Honda motors LOVE aftermarket intake and exhaust components, due to their restrictive nature in stock form. Not only will it add a few ponies (not too many, 5-10 at the VERY most usually..), but it will more than likely increase gas mileage by a little bit. Not to mention when cruisin' down the highway, you wont have to downshift into 4th so that you dont lose speed going uphill.

Look into Megan Racing. I like their lineup, and they seem to have one of the best quality product lines for them money.

Good Luck

...and go right ahead and slap the stupid outta your buddy

Old 04-05-2006, 10:52 AM

awesome, i have been looking at the megan. thats what im going with. i will notice a speed difference?
i am also about to buy an aem fuel rail and fpr. will that help with power/speed?

Old 04-05-2006, 12:40 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

Its not likely that you will notice an increase in power, but like I said, cruising on the highway you will notice a lack of bog in higher gears. When I'm on the highway, cruise control set, I dont EVER have to downshift, and I've never seen my speed drop below where the cruise was set. Except of course for when I took my aftermarket exhaust and CAI off, then I noticed the bog.

The fuel rail and fpr aren't all that necessary unless you're pretty far into modding. What all is done to your car currently?

...and if you look through the Product Review section, under "6th Gen" you'll see my write up about the megan racing exhaust, and theres even a couple sound clips for ya to check out if you want.

Old 04-05-2006, 02:56 PM

all i have on the car now is a nopi cai, and a custom bent 2.25" cat-back. now that im ordering the header ill have that soon. but i want my car to go fast. and h/i/e wont be enough. i cant afford a turbo, nos or sc or a swap now, but i was thinking of saving for a cam, aem fuel system, msd ignition w/rev limiter, cam gear, underdrive pulleys and a lightweight flywheel and clutch, and a short shifter.... do you think all that will make me go from quick to fast? bc its just quick now, not very fast....

Old 04-05-2006, 03:13 PM

the cam would be the only big increase in power, all the rest will help out a bit, but will make your car rev quicker

Old 04-21-2006, 06:19 PM

your goin the right way about it bild up the motor first set everything up so when u got the money 2getter for a turbo/supercharger or nitros your all good 2 go the pullys and stuff like that are not gone give u mutsh then lil les waight looks and 2-4hp but it makes your motor work les meaning got les waight it got to spin just like whit a flywheel so rev lil faster and down the line the more upgrades u put on it the happyer you will be that u thit that lil stuff when u did it

keep them mod's coming