Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Rattling sound after Header/Catback install

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 07:32 PM
HCF Member
Default Rattling sound after Header/Catback install

I installed my header and catback exhaust about 2-3 weeks ago, then took it to Meineke to have them finish what we couldnt get done due to the lack of tools, and I got it back and everything was perfect. About a week ago, this rattling sound occurs every now and then. Definately sounds like metal is rattling against metal somewhere. It's kinda loud but not terribly loud, and it happens randomly. It mostly happens when I'm not moving and if I slowly accelerate from being stopped. What the heck is it?

Also, I started working at a new store 2 weeks ago and I am a pizza delivery driver and everytime I go on a delivery I have to drive over these pretty rough rail road tracks and the whole car shakes... could this have maybe knocked something out of place?

Old 09-14-2007, 07:35 PM
Snail'n Admin
Default RE: Rattling sound after Header/Catback install

After i put my catback on i had to cut at part of the heat shield to get to it. after i had it on for a while, the heat shield started rattling on the bottome of the car and you could hear it. I just cut the rest of it off and everythings been fine since

Old 09-14-2007, 07:42 PM
HCF Member

alright I'll check that out, any clue how I could tell if its for sure coming from that?

By the way the exhaust is Apexi WS2, and header is Megan Racing

Old 09-14-2007, 07:55 PM

check all the bolts to make sure their on snug. most likely just rubbing agenst the heat shield tho.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:46 AM

I just fixed that same problem and it was my heat shield, i noticed it when i was behind my car moving the muffler left and right because it was hitting my bumper and then heard that metal on metal noise and its right where the new exhaust tubing takes a curve, i cut a little of the heat shield where it was rubbing and no noise yet. good luck

Old 09-16-2007, 12:52 PM

tighten up all the bolts and if you notice it while your going around corners, it is going to be because of the length of the hanger you got attached to it. if the hanger is to short or to long your going to be hitting something and it will make that rallter noise, see what is close to the pipeing and you'll be able to determine if the hanger is to long or short. i had the same problem myself.

Old 09-16-2007, 01:39 PM
HCF Member

it used to only happen when I was making a left U-turn but now it does it randomly. What does the heat shield look like and what is it made out of?

Old 09-16-2007, 01:57 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well if you had it done at menike then take it back thier! have them figure out whats rattling...

Old 09-16-2007, 07:53 PM
HCF Member

i had meineke torch out some bolts and put some new hangers on, I actually did the install myself. on the header, there was this little thing coming off the header that was supposed to bolt on to this thing down in that area but we couldnt get it to line up right so we just didnt put the bolt through. its off like an inch, if that even. But it seemed pretty stable so I dont think it's that rattling, but definately a possibility.

I've narrowed the rattling down to a specific time. For example if im sitting there not moving and I rev the engine, it rattles in the "deep" sounds of the rev.... aka at the very start and the very end of the rev...(I guess maybe you could say the low rpms?) So I'm just assuming by me finding this out that just solidifies that something is rattling because the deep sound is causing something to rattle.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:06 PM

im having a problem with some weedwacker noise at about 3000rpm and people have told me its my muffler so make sure its not just that but the heat shield is located more towards the back right by your gas tank