Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Sluggish with no cat?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 06:35 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Sluggish with no cat?

i mean you might have lost some torque beacuse of loss of backpressure, but it shouldnt be that noticable, ususally a header gives gains if anything....

But maybe check your CEL bulb, it doesnt seem right that it would come on for a while and then all the sudden shut off, especially if you didnt make any changes to the exhaust. And if all the sensors and plugged in properly without extending the wires, thats good, extending sensors can go bad really easy and its usually recommended against. Maybe get another OEM cat and replace the test pipe with that, the gains from a test pipe/high flow cat really arent that big, and if it would take away the sluggish-ness you cant complain about that either.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:42 AM
Recognized HCF Member

well instead of pulling the bulb id take the car to like autozone or someplace that does thier little check that way they can just plug thier thing into the computer and know... and if something does come back THEN pull the cluster out and replace the bulb...

Old 05-16-2007, 07:16 AM

hmmm sounds good, i think i'll try that out and i guess get a cat put on seeing that seems that it'll fix the problem. Now that i think of it though, the bulb might be out because my speedometer is dimmer around the bottom edges like the bulb is out or something so it might be, but i'll take it somewhere and have them look at it.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:57 AM
HCF Member

get the code read and come back here

Old 05-16-2007, 01:51 PM

Hey, FlipHKD, you seem to know what you are talking about when it comes to this stuff, so I'll direct my question to you. I am in the same position jpat. I recently installed a header on my 96 civic hx and it has the same configuration as the dx cat. So, I'm currently running only one of the two O2 sensors because the header I have doesn't have a hole for the second sensor near where it should be. I saw you mentioned an O2 simulator early, and can you give me more information on what exactly that does and how it would need to be installed. Also, what would be my best option, I've read that there are ways of extending the O2 cable and then there's the simulator.

Old 05-16-2007, 05:58 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: FlipHKD720

the only time installing a header removes the cat is on a DX, so i imagine youre in the same situation as alot of us (myself included), are you getting a CEL? If so you're in limp mode, which takes away power and makes your gas mileage go to sh*t. You need an o2 simulator from www.o2simulator.com to cure that problem. But regardless of the CEL, you wont pass emissions now, so if youre in a state with emissions laws get a universal cat welded somewhere in yourmid-pipe ASAP

dude i have a dx, i didn't need to remove my cat when i installed my header?