Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

what are headers.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 08:39 PM
Default what are headers.

from my understanding someone told me headers are the things that connect to your exhaust from the engine block. and some one else told me that is an exhause manifold. are they the same thing or what. sorry i dont know all that much about cars. but what is the difference what are headers and what is a manifold.?

Old 11-10-2006, 08:42 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: what are headers.

there's a subtle difference. one (i'm not sure myself which) is the term used for turboed cars, and the other is for naturally aspirated cars

Old 11-10-2006, 08:47 PM

ok still dont fully understand thank you though, so the one is for turboed cars I.E. cars with turbo's on the, . and the other is for stock engines is that what yo uare telling me. well i jsut googled it and i got no were. i am lost on this topic, sorry for being such an amateur guys . everyone started somewere right, lol

Old 11-10-2006, 09:12 PM
HCF Member

exhaust manifolds is a term used primarily for cars with a turbo system, but can also be used for naturally aspirated cars. another name for an exhaust manifold when talking ONLY about a turbo'd car is a turbo manifold. the exhaust/turbo manifold is bolted to the cylinder head, but instead of being bolted to the rest of the exhaust system, it is bolted to a turbocharger, a pipe (downpipe) is bolted from the turbocharger to the rest of the exhaust/turbo manifold.

headers are ONLY used for naturally aspirated applications. headers have four (or however many cylinders your engine has) primary tubes welded to a flange which is then bolted to the cylinder head. each pipe flows gas from each cylinder (4 cylinders=4 primary tubes) through the rest of the exhaust system. the four primary tubes are connected together with a collector. the rest of the exhaust system then runs from this collector.

there are different designs for both exhaust/turbo manifolds and headers, each design making more or less power over a certain RPM band. just look around other forums or google header design to learn more about this topic.

hope this was helpful[sm=signs003.gif]

Old 11-10-2006, 09:13 PM

Same thing man. Manifold=header. Its not just for boosted rides. People usually refer to the manifold for turbo, but if your NA, you can still say "i have a greddy header" or "i have a greddy exhaust manifold" same thing. Yes, it connects the head to actual exhaust system

Old 11-10-2006, 09:19 PM

thanx guys that made it a whole lot easier, now i know more about what i am talkign about, thanx a lot!!!

Old 11-10-2006, 09:27 PM

no problem, good luck