Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

whats a good header

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 01:46 PM
HCF Member
Talking

mind posting your chart?

I dig around my computer and see if I can't find mine is been a little over a year since I had my dyno tune. My h22a4 was tuned by Central Florida Turbo here in FL. Look the up if you don't think they are a good shop.
What other mods where you running?
My h22a4 was mainly stock. AEM CAI with 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust from header back with no cat and no muffler. With a p28 ecu..and the DC header. Made 189hp/160-ish tq.
With my OEM header TB cams the gears and port I made 197 or 198hp/160ish tq.
Like I said I will look for my dyno chart for you.
The tuner at CFT even told me to ditch my DC header. He told me from the dyno chart that the DC bottle necked right be4 vtec would hit and I'm better off with the OEM header (thos words coming from the tuners mouth NOT MINE). I had my vtec engaging at 3800-7700rpms

Old 01-01-2011, 02:57 PM

lol.

Megan Racing headers are copies of DC Sports headers and they are good quality. There is absolutely no point in buying a DC Sports header over a Megan Racing header unless you live in CA and need something CARB approved. eBay headers are also copies of DC Sports headers but are hit or miss when it comes to quality. I have seen crappy eBay headers, and I have also seen ones that are great... in person. I would not personally buy an eBay generic header because you are taking a gamble on quality, but there are some that are good... you just won't know until you open the box it comes in.

But, he is right. DC Sports, Megan Racing, and eBay headers are not very good because they provide minimal gains. DC Sports are overpriced because you can get the same thing from Megan Racing with a different brand name on it. Quality companies like Bisimoto, Toda, etc. make headers that provide much higher gains and are of superior quality. The only problem is cost... they are much more expensive. But, you gotta pay to play, and that's the point flcb7 is trying to make.

And I don't know if I trust what the guy at CFT said... I have heard that CFT has gone way downhill recently and that all of their good tuners (the ones that built CFT's reputation) have gone elsewhere. Not that I am saying he's wrong, but just that the clout associated with CFT probably isn't very true to reality anymore, so just because he tunes at CFT doesn't mean I should automatically trust that he knows what he is talking about.

Originally Posted by flcb7
mind posting your chart?

I dig around my computer and see if I can't find mine is been a little over a year since I had my dyno tune. My h22a4 was tuned by Central Florida Turbo here in FL. Look the up if you don't think they are a good shop.
What other mods where you running?
My h22a4 was mainly stock. AEM CAI with 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust from header back with no cat and no muffler. With a p28 ecu..and the DC header. Made 189hp/160-ish tq.
With my OEM header TB cams the gears and port I made 197 or 198hp/160ish tq.
Like I said I will look for my dyno chart for you.
The tuner at CFT even told me to ditch my DC header. He told me from the dyno chart that the DC bottle necked right be4 vtec would hit and I'm better off with the OEM header (thos words coming from the tuners mouth NOT MINE). I had my vtec engaging at 3800-7700rpms
Too many variables to say that the header was necessarily the difference

Last edited by trustdestruction; 01-01-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:01 PM
HCF Member

Megan isn't really a bad price but still the power to cash ratio sucks. Iv owned the DC and Megan and I like my OEM over both. Me disliking is a totally diff. story over my really live experience. I not liking them has nothing to do with why I say you are garbage.

edit* trustdestruction - lovin the CR Z man!! I would love to get one myself a swap a k20 and call it a day

Have you seen bisimoto CR Z he worked over?? It is a pure masterpiece man...if you have not seen it look for it awww it looks sooo good

Last edited by flcb7; 01-01-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:06 PM

thanks! and yeah i've seen it... :drool:

Old 01-02-2011, 08:39 AM
HCF Member

I have DC but ONLY because it has the CARB stamped. I wish I could get the SKUNK2 header but are priced well over $700, I know skunk2 is awesome but not sure how good it is on header

P.S... I got my DC's here used, but in top shape for $80 with shipping =)

Old 01-02-2011, 04:19 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction

Too many variables to say that the header was necessarily the difference
well the point I was trying to make there was the price of the DC header I bought all thos other parts and gain 9-10 extra HP. What I was gettin at is the money can be spend else ware and gain more power. You just ahve to be smart about what parts to use.

*edit* I think my chart was on my old computer that is toast now.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:36 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Civic Si 00
I have DC but ONLY because it has the CARB stamped. I wish I could get the SKUNK2 header but are priced well over $700, I know skunk2 is awesome but not sure how good it is on header

P.S... I got my DC's here used, but in top shape for $80 with shipping =)
for that 700 go with bisi.

2hp for 80bucks...not all that bad

Old 01-03-2011, 06:22 PM
HCF Member

You can find a dc header on cl for cheap all day. I'm on my 3rd different one on my d16. First header I picked up was "told" it was DC with the tag ripped off, didn't believe it but it was $40 so oh well. Polished that up and sold it for like $60, bought another header that was in really good shape but was a 2 piece, sold that one and have the ceramic coated 4-2-1 one piece DC. 1 piece design is awesome cause it is so clean, and don't have to worry about leaks at the joining spot, and you don't have ugly *** flanges. And I got this one for $60. They are out there for cheappp.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:22 AM
HCF Member

if you can find them cheap like that they yeah they are worth buying. But buying them new...for get about it. You can buy much much better mods.