Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Whats next?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 08:49 AM
Default Whats next?

What up, So I have a 08 civic ex with hardly any mods as of right now i have a Weapon r intake, and a vibrant catback exhaust. Im not super car smart I know a little bit, I was wonder wuts the next step i should take with engine mods? I've looked at throttle body spacers, high flow cats, header, short shifter,intake manifolds i could continue all day... even the turbo kit. If i could get some edvice it would be alot of help thank you

Old 11-26-2009, 09:10 AM
Sir Banned-a-lot

header, high flow cat and boost it

my $0.02

Old 11-26-2009, 09:25 AM
HCF Member

Budget is a big thing you need to take in to account, and whether you want to turbo or just build up the internals of your motor. Header is the most common upgrade with the intake and exhaust. And honestly I don't think high flow cats are worth it if you don't need to replace your current cat. If you have a decent chunk of money to spend look in to putting in a more aggressive cam along with springs/retainers/valves. That'll set you up for a lot more mods. As you may have seen all motor builds usually don't put out a ton of hp so your other choice is to look into turbos. They get expensive especially getting your car tuned. And the throttle body spacers aren't worth anything, you would get one if you were going to run nitrous. But once you have a header in you'll have basicaly all the cheap mods in, the big stuff comes next.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by 8thgengent
I've looked at throttle body spacers, high flow cats, header, short shifter,intake manifolds i could continue all day... even the turbo kit. If i could get some edvice it would be alot of help thank you
What are your goals with your car (high hp, or just a "quicker" daily driver)? How much money do you have to spend? How much experience with working on cars do you have? Those are the first things which need to be answered. However, I would suggest a short shifter (make sure it is steel, not aluminum!), no to the TB spacer, high flow cat or a test pipe may throw a CEL and prevent you from passing emissions (depending what state you reside in). Intake manifold would be a decent upgrade if your turbo'd or if you have a nice built motor that needs the extra air flow, otherwise, I would pass on it.

Originally Posted by supersize
header, high flow cat and boost it

my $0.02
Supersize, why the hell do you keep saying people should buy a header, then boost?????? Do you not understand that the header (exhaust manifold) would be replaced with a turbo manifold/turbo/downpipe? As trust said in another thread, stop giving horrible advice. Well, to be fair, you said "header, then boost". You would only want a header if you were boosting with a supercharger (it replaces the Intake manifold). If you meant for him to buy a header, high flow cat, and then boost with a supercharger, you need to say that specifically.

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 11-26-2009 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:59 AM

Well im in iraq right now so money isnt really an issue seeing how i have nothing to spend money on...I get a couple of weeks n january for leave. I've got some work to do(driftz rims, nitto tires, steel cross drilled and sloted rotars,ceramic breaks, new head lights, and the exhaust) I have some experance working with cars(limited). When would a greddy emanage system come into play?

Old 11-27-2009, 04:24 AM

Any one have a site where i could find a cam for my model?

Old 11-27-2009, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by 8thgengent
When would a greddy emanage system come into play?
A Greddy E-manage wouldn't be necessary unless you need a tune for the mods you have on the car. However, you would not need a tune for Intake/header/exhaust. Once you start getting into internal mods (camshafts etc), or boost, then you would look into a tuning device. In my opinion, the only correct place for an E-manage is in the trash. I am not a fan the E-manage at all. There are a few ways to tune your car, search around.

Regarding a camshaft, after doing a few searches on ebaymotors and such, I wasn't able to find much of anything. I have heard of companies using the stock camshaft, adding material to it and re-grinding it. You would probably want to contact them yourself about this service. I would recommend checking out Crower and Bisimoto.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:06 AM

Ok I may just be asking stupid questions and tell me to shut up if u have to, say i do deside to do the turbo witch im really leaning towards, with this kit- Turbo Specialties (TSI) R18 Extreme Turbo Kit , It says that this is able to be tuned with stock internals and what not, is this true? what internals or other mods would be a good investment before installing the turbo?

Old 11-27-2009, 03:39 PM

Can I tell you to shut up now? lol

Yes, you can run boost on stock internals. I wouldn't boost too much though. Somewhere around 6-7 psi on a small/medium sized turbo would be fine. However, if your tune is off and you end up running too lean or too rich, you risk blowing the motor.

Check out the sticky at the top of the Forced Inductions section. It has a list of everything you NEED for turbo and everything you could WANT for the turbo.