Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Will a resonator deepen the tone of an exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 10:24 PM
Default Will a resonator deepen the tone of an exhaust?

Hello,
I am buying a Magnaflow exhaust for my brothers starter civic and want to make sure the tone is as deep as I can get it. I've heard by adding a resonator this can deepen the tone?

Is this true?

and, are there any drawbacks to installing a resonator? (not too worried about performace, the engine is stock and losing .5 - 1 hp over it is worth it if it does anything for sound).

Who happens to have a resonator on their car and could notice a before and after difference?

THANKS!

Old 12-19-2007, 10:30 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Will a resonator deepen the tone of an exhaust?

I been buying Magnaflows for the past 6 yrs. Awesome products. Cars come already with a stock resonator. On my accord I went with 2 1/4 pipping from the cat to the exhaust but I still kept the resonator on because with out it sounds like SHI-T. In fact I had to installed another resonator because my exhaust got really DEEP. I been having that muffler on the car for about 5 yrs or SO. Maybe it got so deep because when I also did the pipe work I also installed a High Flow cat from Magnaflow

Old 12-20-2007, 12:36 PM
HCF Member

friend of mine had a greddy tic, had a bit of raspyness/ricer tone to it. He added a magna flow resonater and it sounded 10times better. better tone, lost most of the raspyness.

I personally am running 1 resonater w/ magnaflow muffler. sounds great(i also have no cat).
check out a thread i just started on a great deal for magna flow exhausts.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:15 PM
HCF Member

I just added a resonator to mine...I dont think the tone got any deeper, but it took out some of the rasp/rice sound it had before. I wont run without one again. And I'm pretty sure they dont affect performace....I dont see how it would.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:01 PM
HCF Member

Besides all cars come with one resonator already...Im telling you on my accord it got so loud and deep I had to installed another resonator so NOW I'm running 2 resonators. IT help a little. Maybe because my muffler has been on for over 5 yrs it's allburned in already

Old 12-22-2007, 05:58 PM

Will a resonator deepen the tone of the exhaust? Yes and no. It depends on what the packing material in the resonator is. A resonator is used to force the sound waves of equal size and pitch to hit each other and cancel the sound out. They are for sound control only. They have no true power addative capabilities. Magnaflow makes the best for high pitch elimination and the "ricer" sound elimination. They can soften the sound if you have a loud muffler. THe closer to the muffler the softer the sound. By softerI mean not a loud. But you will retain the sound quality. DO NOT GET THE CHEAP ONES FOR ANY REASON. After 200 miles you can watch the fiberglass and the bul fly out the back and then you have just a pipe with no sound material inside of it. Hope this asnwers your question.