Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Help: Painting Interior Trim

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 06:11 PM
bkp
Default Help: Painting Interior Trim

Hey everybody this is my first post!

Just bought a 97 Honda Civic Hatchback (red). I'm going to replace the headliner, door fabric and sun visors this summer (thanks to addiction's diy) and am thinking about painting the trim (not the dash) black to match the black headliner I want to put up. I've read some about using vinyl dye instead. Any advice?

Also, how do you tint the dome light lens? Any pics?

This pic is before I got it all detailed and such. I know I know it's auto =( I'd appreciate the help anyways =)

Attached Thumbnails Help: Painting Interior Trim-dsc00197.jpg  
Old 03-28-2010, 06:35 PM
HCF Member

I did my headliner and visors and door inserts black, rewrapped it all. And I'm painting the A. B, and C pillar trim black since it is all that is still light tan. I'm using Duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint, worked great on the oh **** handles of the other plastic stuff on the headliner, and I didn't use any adhesion promotor/primer. Haven't had any chip off yet and passengers like to use the handle. I sprayed the little hinge thingies on the visors and even the paint rubbing against the 2 plastic pieces it is holding up pretty good.

Tint your dome light with VHT nightshade, meant for plastic. I still have to tint mine, but I recommend getting an led dome light. The standard bulb won't be too bright through the tint. And led bulbs are obnixiously bright, so the tint will tone it down.

Let me know if you have any questions when wrapping, I just did mine a month or two ago.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:48 PM
HCF Member

I am in the process of blacking out my interior. I removed the dash...actually..I removed everything..kick panels, sills, rear deck..every panel.

I also reupholstered my headliner in black faux suede along with the sun visors and door panels. I will say that you should only tackle the dash if you are feeling brave. You can see my thread with pictures of what your dash will look like when you get it out https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...d.php?p=703606

I did use the adhesive promoter. I figured it couldnt hurt and one can goes a long way. I think I have gone through about 12 cans of the paint though...at 6.50 a pop! But I think its worth the look.

I also re-did the carpet....that was probably the hardest thing I have done yet because when you buy it and it says "molded for your car" well.....its not 'that' great of a mold so you have a ton of tweaking to do to get it right.

Also, welcome to the forum. I'm pretty new here as well but everyone has been very cool!

Old 03-28-2010, 06:53 PM
bkp

Yeah Scott I was just checking out your project thread. Looks like you're doing some sweet stuff. How many coats did you use on the pillars? Got any pics?

Old 03-28-2010, 06:58 PM
HCF Member

Doing pillars this week actually, I'll put pics up (spring break, doing a lot of stuffon my car , paint, suspension, etc.) I'll probably end up doing 2-4 coats, as with the plastic on the headliner I did a few coats and it turned out good.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:00 PM
HCF Member

Well I did coats on most of the panels with the rustoleum..then bought the duplicolor and liked the finish better so I went back over the other panels. So the majority of the panels have 4 coats. I need to take some photos now that the stuff is in the car. The carpet looks awsome...really makes the interior look nice.........you know what.....ill go take some pics right now

Old 03-28-2010, 07:07 PM
HCF Member

#Fail, went out into the garage and its just too dark in the car to get any decent pics...ill try maybe tomorrow when its daylight. Man when the tint is done and the seats are recovered....its gonna be pitch black in that car.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:31 AM
bkp

Did you get those pics?

Old 03-29-2010, 09:16 AM
bkp

Also, I've been reading a lot about people using vinyl dye...would this be better than paint?

Old 02-01-2013, 09:38 PM

this threads old as ****!but duplicolor vinyl and interior does wonders my whoe interior is custom done! pics are in my gargae!