Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

How Do I Convert Civic Sedan Interior from tan to black

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 03:08 AM
Default How Do I Convert Civic Sedan Interior from tan to black

I have a 1992 Honda Civic DX sedan that came from the factory with tan and grey interior and I was wondering is there any possible way to completely convert the interior to black including the climate control assembly without paint because I’ve heard that over time the paint chips and looks horrible and I want this car to be perfect because I plan on putting it in car shows in the near future. I noticed that the 3 door VX Civics and some coupe and hatchback Civics came from the factory with black interior but I was wondering is the dash in the coupes and hatchbacks the same as in the sedans besides the colors and if only the coupes and 3 door civics came with black interior how would I convert the rear door panels without paint. any help would be greatly appreciated and lastly if there is no way to convert the climate control assembly to black without paint how can I put a 96-98 Civic climate control assembly in my 92. I have seen many forums on how someone can put a 92 Civic climate control assembly in a 96 Civic but nothing on putting a 96 Civic Climate control assembly in a 92 Civic. Any help on this too would be appreciated but if anybody can find pictures with the instructions it would be awesome because I tend to understand things better with pictures than just by reading.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:15 AM

Many hatchbacks in the 92-95 range actually came with a dark blue interior.

If you cannot find a sedan with black/dark gray interior, start getting the spray can ready, there is nothing else you can do about it.

I have never seen anyone swap a 92 climate control into a 96-98, or vice versa. I have only seen 96-98 to 99-00 swaps (or 99-00 to 96-98 for w/e reason).

Old 06-12-2012, 06:14 AM
HCF Member

IIRC people would swap the CRX climate control for the EG or accord. the reverse is possible with some engineering perhaps?

Old 06-19-2012, 09:40 AM

I haven't seen black interior for any sedans that would work in yours.

I have a 95 civic coupe, and it will have black/blue/carbon fiber interior. I had to either paint everything or upholster it. Once it is completely done I will have a lot of pictures up on here.

Painted panels look just fine as long as you are patient and do it right. You have to sand them down with fine paper, prime them, paint them black (or any color you want), and you could even add a clear coat if you wanted. But for them to come out really nice and withstand people touching them (especially door handles/door cups), then you will have to paint them with 8 or more good coats.

I did this only because the previous owner had started it, but never finished.... And if I went back, I probably would leave it stock. It is a LOT of time and work to paint everything and is a very tedious process. Plus it has cost me a lot of money for sandpaper, paint, primer, etc.... All that money could have gone to the engine.

One last note though, if you want to enter it into shows then having a custom interior would really make it stand apart.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:22 AM
Zoz
HCF Member

Don't know buddy, the door panels and small parts to replace is easy, but complete dash and carpet... does it worth it?

Old 11-15-2012, 09:39 AM
June 2010 ROTM

You can dye the vinyl. But anything plastic will have to be painted.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Zoz
Don't know buddy, the door panels and small parts to replace is easy, but complete dash and carpet... does it worth it?
Please stop bumping old threads. This one was 6 months old.