Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

How to remove Rust and other minor body damage

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 06:43 AM
HCF Member
Default How to remove Rust and other minor body damage

I have a 94 lx sedan that i bought recently. It has some rust above the wheels on the back drivers side. How should I get this fixed up fairly cheaply, and then also I would like to Spiff it up with some new paint. How much would the paint cost.

[/align]

Old 01-16-2008, 06:45 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: How to remove Rust and other minor body damage

I just asked this question a while back also and got no replies. I would just go to some local body shops and see what they say. I dont think there is really a cheap way about body work and paint if you want it done right. You could always do it yourself and really take your time and save a little money.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:54 AM
HCF Member

Yeah that's what I was afraid of. And being a 16 year old guy with no job yet isn't really making it look like ill get this done in the near future

Old 01-16-2008, 07:57 AM
HCF Member

there are web sites where you can buy replacement quarter panels for those rust spots above the rear wheels...I think they are about $75 each...I found a link a while back for addiction. Best bet is going to be buy those and weld em in yourself if you are able...I cant find the thread right now...but just recently someone got that same cancer fixed in their hatch for a decent price at maaco or something and it turned out pretty good...I gotta go to a meeting or I'd search for it. Maybe someone else can link it. Right now it escapes me...

Old 01-16-2008, 08:08 AM

You can always sand and bondo if it hasn't gotten in to the frame.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:35 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: yo****hemonk

You can always sand and bondo if it hasn't gotten in to the frame.
You can do this with the dents but you cant do that with rust. If you want to get rid of rust properly you have to cut the piece of rust totally out and weld a new piece in then bondo and sand that.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:43 PM
HCF Member

Yeah you have to cut out the rust or kill it. Plus bondo doesnt like water so if it was rusted through it would get wet from behind and eventually crack out.

If the rust isnt bad enough to require replacing sheet metal the other sollution is rust mort...(POR-15) that stuff is amazing...if you google POR-15 you will find it. We've used it on the windshield surround in one of my dads cars (even where it was rusted through). The first step of it kills the rust...then there is a putty that when its dry pretty much requires a grinder to be taken down (so you have to apply it precisely, cant just slap it on like bondo and sand it off).

If its not too bad I would suggest that...that stuff is awesome...but otherwise google replacement panels for your civic or search threads (cause I know I linked it somewhere) and you can buy them for a decent price.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:38 PM

I just bought a pair of them for my civic. They look like there going to work awesome, but I still need to find a full rocker panel. Check them out. Hope I helped ya out!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-93...mZ110290117301