Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Problems Painting manifold guard

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 06:16 PM
HCF Member
Default Problems Painting manifold guard

Well, I started out today to do something to the ole civic, considering it's been so warm out.

So anyway, i decided a while back that I was going to paint the manifold guard, and the valve cover black, and then paint the honda lettering something different, yellow most likely.

Anyway, i started painging the manifold guard today, just to test my skills, and it looked great. I did about 4 thinner coats of Engine Enamel Semi-Gloss black, and planned on covering it up with the clear coat to make it shine, similar to the others I have seen on the site, but when I applied the clear coat, it almost looks like it turned it grey, which did not go over too well.

It didn't add a shine at all, just discolored the entire thing, so I let it dry for 10min and re-covered it with the semi-gloss black. It's back to normal now, but if i don't figure out how to gloss it quick I am going to end up having to wait another week to gloss it.

Did I do something wrong, or is it some unwritten law that you can't gloss a semi-gloss? I say if I went flat it would still have this discoloring going on. Any clues?

I also just read online somewhere that this 500* paint might burn off since exhaust temps can range up to 1800* depending on driving characteristics, oh bother.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:50 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Problems Painting manifold guard

The paint will go to the normal color when heat is added to it. I had the same problem when I painted my valve cover. I painted it red and then used sealer and it changed to pink. But it went to red after it was all heated up. You can use a heat gun to cure the paint before you put it back on the car.

They also make header paint which I think is for higher temperatures.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:59 PM
HCF Member

I just covered up the clear coat and left it, I will take it back off in 7 days or so and try to clear coat it then. I don't want it to wrinkle.

WTH does the clear coat discolor so much. I tested it on some cardboard as well, did the same thing. I figured maybe once it dried it would be glossy, but it didn't work out.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:22 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Stumasters

I just covered up the clear coat and left it, I will take it back off in 7 days or so and try to clear coat it then. I don't want it to wrinkle.

WTH does the clear coat discolor so much. I tested it on some cardboard as well, did the same thing. I figured maybe once it dried it would be glossy, but it didn't work out.
I dunno why the clear coat does that. But, my reaction was the same as yours I'm sure lol. If you have a heat gun use it to cure the paint before you put it on. I've painted some other peoples valve covers after I did my own and I don't have to be as careful putting it back on if I use a heat gun.