Megan Racing 4-2-1 Header

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 03:22 PM
HCF Member
Default Megan Racing 4-2-1 Header

Distributor: Ebay (nissangtrpower)
Product: Megan Racing 4-2-1 header
Car: 88-00 civic/ CRX all models
Price: $162 with shipping and shipping insurance (priced between $160-$180)
Installation: Puttingthe headeron is pretty straight forward. Getting the oldstock manifold out can be a little tricky, especially if you live around where it's salty in the winter, and the nuts from manifold to converter haven't been touched in over 5 years. If you have a problem with these, get some rust remover in an aresol can (highly recommend Pb blaster) and drench the nuts and bolts all over, becareful about getting it on plastic parts. Let it sit for atleast 5 min, then try to loosen them again. If still tight repeat the step (I had to do mine 3-4 times till they came loose). Use on other nuts if necessary, after all nuts and bolts are taken off the manifold, negbattery term disconnected, andthe o2 sensor is disconnected/or taken off( careful with the o2 sensor don't get liquid on the tipor damage it, expensive and sensitive)drop it down slowly( helps a lot if you have someone to help youdrop it down and the other one guide it underneath). Piece header together befor bringing it up from the bottom (make sure you put every piece on tightly), carefully place on the block. Re-attach o2 sensor should fit fineno need for extender harness, apply a little anti-seize to the tip and a little on the thread.Now attach the bottom piece with the doughnut ring onto the converter/exhaust. This could also be a little tricky, if it doesn't line up right. (I just used clamps and strength to line it up to get the threadfrom the bolt through both holes). Tighten up everything to spec, reattach neg battery terminal and start her up. Let it idle for 10 minutes so the ECU will reconfigure itself, check for a check engine light or any other problems, but should be good to go if you follow through each step and take your time, not arace.
Installation Time: 1 hour - 2+, depending on how much of a pain rusted nuts and parts are on your car, also tools and resources.
Review: For the price $162 very good all around header. I give it a 3.5 / 5 for affordability, style looks, and of course better power. It's no turbo but you will notice the difference especially with nice intake and nice exhaust( cat-back). Comes with one year warranty. It's durable, with good welds, one thing is you might go through midway gasket every couple months if you get one that isn't machined perfectly flat. I might just be an unlucky one, but I am now changeing my 5th gasket. Once I had my mechanic (who makes custom exhausts) put it on in case it was something I was doing wrong, but still went in a couple months.

side note: The reason why megan racing headers are considerably less expensivethan DC header'sis because they are not technically street legal. You should be fine though unless you live in california.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17640/B1B5E7E5E39A45E0ABA1D62955AC87DB.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/17640/A544D057EC5C491C833842C05ECEA4D4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-01-2007, 03:32 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Megan Racing 4-2-1 Header

i live in california

Old 04-02-2007, 09:27 AM

Is there a way to stop the header from turning that golish color?

Old 04-02-2007, 09:44 AM
HCF Member

^ i think that just naturally happesn over time

Old 04-02-2007, 11:08 AM
HCF Member

^^^ No there is no way to stop it. It happens when the steel heats up. I guess if you had the inside ceramic coated it would help some, but stainless steel just does that naturally. That is why you have discoloration around your welds.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:37 PM
HCF Member

I like the bronze and blue color it gets. It shows it's being used.

Old 06-10-2007, 02:05 AM
HCF Member

Any kind of good header for the d16y7 ? I know there is the whole cat issue ? Any solutions ?

Old 06-10-2007, 06:39 AM
HCF Member

^^^ I've been looking at the same thing. In Canada (at least in Manitoba where I live) there is NO smog testing, so I could buy the header, bolt it to the stock exhaust and be fine. If you can't do that (and I don't recommend it. You're polluting a LOT more and deleting the cat only gains you 1Hp anyway) buy a high-flow cat and bolt that behind the header. Bolt the exhaust to the cat and you're good to go.

DO NOT BUY A CHEAP "CAT" OFF E-BAY...most of those are just a hollow tube aka test pipe. you put one of those on and you'll blow the smog test. fair warning ok?

Old 06-10-2007, 09:20 PM
HCF Member

I think im gunna be gettin the same thing , cuz of the price mostly ! THX for the review

Old 06-10-2007, 09:27 PM
HCF Member

^ +1 for the ebay "high-flow cat" just being a test pipe, and with the DX/cat situation, theres really no way to kepe the cat in the exhaust manifold, you can buy a universal one and have it welded into your exhaust whever you want and still pass emissions. I ran with a header on my y7 and no cat for a while, but i've got a high-flow one now. And with the CEL you will probably get, you need an www.o2simulator.com for that.

thanks for the review Live_4it, it was much needed since Megan headers get recommended quite a bit around here

Quick Reply: Megan Racing 4-2-1 Header