The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Formula 1 controversy

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 06:37 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: Formula 1 controversy

I couldn't agree with you less, NASCAR hasn't done**** for USDM vehicles

Old 08-06-2007, 06:45 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Forty04

Yes, Rally is fun to watch. But f1 is the most inovative racing on the planet. No other form has done more for the advacement of automotive technology
And i couldn't agree with you more

Old 08-06-2007, 07:23 AM
HCF Member

Your wrong, everything from better side rails, supports, better side impact protection to the dry sump oil system used on the new Z06. The 500+hp stock muscle cars from the late 60's and early 70's owe it to Nascar, all around engine developement, so on and so forth. If it were not for Nascar and dragracing the most important and powerfull engines in U.S. automakers history would have never been developed.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:24 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: ej6buddy

ORIGINAL: mybrokenblinker

Ok I agree with a lot of what's said, and a lot of times other racing is more fun to watch, but there is no other form of racing that has reached the technical pinnacle F1 has and that's a fact, no arguing about it.
you'd be surprised by nascar if you're not familiar with the actual cars, maybe not the most technical, but they're right on up there.
I'm pretty familiar with nascar...i'm not arguing other racing isn't technologically advanced, just that f1 is exponentially more advanced than anything else. And no can have watched the Kubica crash and claim any other sport is doing more for safety in cars. Hell, if it weren't for the safety focus, these cars would be jets on the ground by now...

And marty, I agree with what you are saying...but if you respect 9000+ rpm engines, why don't you have the same if not more respect for 23000 rpm v8 engines...

Old 08-06-2007, 07:31 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: ej6buddy

Ok I agree with a lot of what's said, and a lot of times other racing is more fun to watch, but there is no other form of racing that has reached the technical pinnacle F1 has and that's a fact, no arguing about it.
you'd be surprised by nascar if you're not familiar with the actual cars, maybe not the most technical, but they're right on up there.
I'm pretty familiar with nascar...i'm not arguing other racing isn't technologically advanced, just that f1 is exponentially more advanced than anything else. And no can have watched the Kubica crash and claim any other sport is doing more for safety in cars. Hell, if it weren't for the safety focus, these cars would be jets on the ground by now...

And marty, I agree with what you are saying...but if you respect 9000+ rpm engines, why don't you have the same if not more respect for 23000 rpm v8 engines...
I do, but they are race bread engines designed for that and that only. The engines in the Nascar cars are traditional 357c.i. 4 bolt mainsmall block chevy engines, 358c.i. 4 bolt main small block ford engines that you can honestly make with little to no fuss. Everything in a Nascar engine is off the shelf parts and the engines themselves are the same engines that have been placed in passenger cars and trucks for over 50 years. Something a person like myself or you could put together w/o breaking the bank.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:02 AM
HCF Member

Yeah I get what you're saying...but part of the interest in formula 1 for me is just that, it is THE PINNACLE of technology. That's what makes it so interesting.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:34 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: Marty

Your wrong, everything from better side rails, supports, better side impact protection to the dry sump oil system used on the new Z06. The 500+hp stock muscle cars from the late 60's and early 70's owe it to Nascar, all around engine developement, so on and so forth. If it were not for Nascar and dragracing the most important and powerfull engines in U.S. automakers history would have never been developed.
No, I'm not wrong, your opinion is that I am wrong.

Allow me to rephrase what I said earlier. Nascar hasn't done **** LATELY for the advancement of automotive technology. Yes it is true that they were the roots of the big block cars, but in all actuality, those cars suck compared to sports cars of today.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:17 AM
HCF Member

Allow me to rephrase what I said earlier. Nascar hasn't done **** LATELY for the advancement of automotive technology. Yes it is true that they were the roots of the big block cars, but in all actuality, those cars suck compared to sports cars of today.
wow, sounds like some people hate nascar, lol, j/k. but really, you're right forty to an extent being that nascar is putting so many restrictions on the cars that they aren't able to perform at their highest. nascar really isn't about being the pennacle of all technology. it's about close racing and having fun. the f1 sport is kinda lacking the fun part, which is why most of america isn't into it. but really, they are the closest to factory automobiles and they have made the larger impact on the safety and aftermarket pieces that we use in our cars in the u.s. if we favored indy cars, we'd all be driving in 3-4 feet tall open cockpit one seater race cars, lol.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:01 PM
HCF Member

No the cars did not suck the tires and the fuel technology sucked. Old 426 Hemi equipedcars and such were mid 12 second cars on bias ply tires, the fastest car in the world for a LONG LONG time was a car equiped with Hemi engines. The 427 COPO gm cars were absolute monsters you put modern tires on any of these and watch the tires drop like crazy. The first Mustangs and Camaros dominated the Trans Am series road course racing. The Muscle car era ended for a reason and people would be shocked to know how little it had to do with fuel restraints and emmissions.Lately they may not seem to do much but Nascar is the test bed for alot of engineering designs. Also if it is so plain and easy to do then why has Toyota not been able to do **** in Nextell cup? It took them 8 months to win a Grand National Series race which is the minor leagues to Nascar. I am not trying to get people to like it, that is your choice but just because you dont like them dont mean the technology is not there.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:29 PM
HCF Member

I understand that the technology is there...but some things to think about.

Look at the drivers in nascar...some of them are overweight. Now think about all the Formula 1 drivers, they are all thin and small. When the car is already underweight and they ballast it to race weight, think about how technologically oriented that is, to be competetive, even the driver weight matters for getting the center of gravity lower.

Quick Reply: Formula 1 controversy