The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Four years have passed

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 02:20 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Four years have passed

Driving on the 8E to school with my mom. We were listening to the radio and we heard about the first one hitting and I thought, "God damn it, they really need to start screening these pilots after they've been to the bar." Then the next one hit a few minutes later and I got the feeling I was in Die Hard for some reason. All my teachers refused to show the footage. I think what really disturbed me the most about that day was walking into the TV room and seeing my dad zombied out just flicking through the channels. The guy was totally unresponsive to my mom or myself that night.

May be our government has made some mistakes, but ultimately it's the fault of those who carried this through!
Directly yes. Indirectly, well then it gets interesting. Maybe if this country's top guns thought our foreign policy out a little more, then Osama or any terrorists wouldn't have a base of recruitment. Bush isn't the only idiot that's ever sat in office. Osama wrote a letter to Clinton, in 99 I believe, claiming the U.S. would suffer severe consequences unless all bases in the Middle East were decommissioned. Yeah, that one was heeded real well.

Most people in Philadelphia took this as a slap on their face...I recall some people's tears turned into anger...
Best quote I heard some heated New Yorker say when asked what the United States should do, he replied "Start sending the nukes over." My, the lack of reason passions can cause.

That day changed my view of humanity.
How?

Old 09-12-2005, 08:19 AM

For years I've believed in the inherent goodness of people, that people aren't born evil or cruel. But that day showed me that some people are just plain evil down to the soul or whatever you believe in. That plan could have only been hatched by a mind seething with the darkest of hatred, you can't be taught to be that cruel, it has to be in you to begin with.

Old 09-12-2005, 10:59 PM
HCF Member

they arent so much evil, they have just been told something so many times, that they dont care if its true or not. and hatred? you have no idea the kind of hatred those people have for us. Its sad that much of it is out of ignorance. as is much of the opinion of others from around the world that Americans hold.

Osama wrote a letter to Clinton, in 99 I believe, claiming the U.S. would suffer severe consequences unless all bases in the Middle East were decommissioned. Yeah, that one was heeded real well.
And what was he supposed to do? What would YOU have done? Being President would be one of the worst things I could think of to have to do. Every little decision you make is a balancing act between what everyones reactions are going to be, and you cant please everyone. Im not defending anyones choices, just the fact that it is their choice to make, and few of them really want to have to make some of those choices, many of them are just doing what they think is best for the future of the country, while not hurting the rest of the world any more than is necessary, and helping whenever possible. and some of those decisions turn out to be the wrong ones. I know that in my own life, Ive made a ton of choices that have turned out to be wrong, just lucky for me, Its been on a smaller scale.

Old 09-13-2005, 11:08 AM
HCF Member

And what was he supposed to do? What would YOU have done?
Well, I think I would have done some homework. Realized this guy is from one of the wealthiest families in the Saudi Arabia, come to the conclusion that he might be able to do some damage, and perhaps addressed his demands a bit. They weren't that far out of line, especially considering the environment we had put ourselves into over there. All of this would have been done extremely hush hush and would have been perfect with Clinton's already present actions of scaling down the military. Maybe those towers might still be reaching for the sky.

Every little decision you make is a balancing act between what everyones reactions are going to be, and you cant please everyone
Politics summed up in a sentence. Sometimes however the right decision isn't always the most popular.

That plan could have only been hatched by a mind seething with the darkest of hatred, you can't be taught to be that cruel, it has to be in you to begin with.
Yeah, I feel that exact same way about that guy on the $20 bill.

Old 09-13-2005, 11:50 AM
HCF Member

No one is going to believe this but a few weeks before 9/11 I was having feelings of an impending doom but it wasn't for me but others especially my family. A feeling I wish not on others. I did the only thing I could, I prayed. I prayed for my family, friends and for the well being of others around me. I prayed everyday for two weeks.

On 9/11, I went to work early. Unusual for me but I did. It was about 8:45am when I heard an engine revving up and as I turned around to look out the window of the 29th floor accross the street from the World Trade Center, I saw an unbelievable sight. A sight I cannot forget. A plane just slammed into the World Trade Center and all I can say, "Oh my God, those people just died instantly." Our windows shook and some broke without warning, without a chance. Tears ran down my eyes as I could not turn away. Everyone in my office ran and cried, calling love ones in the towers. I stood there as I saw another bigger plane revv up the engine and slammed the tower. I saw people jumping out of windows because of the heat.

It was then that I realized we were under attack. I immediately called my sister to let her know I was safe but we were evacuating the lower part of manhattan. The trains were not working and we all had to walk past the wreckage of debris and body parts. I grabbed my girlfriend and we headed towards the Brooklyn Bridge. As we walk, we could see the towers smoking and suddenly we heard a crumbling and tower 1 went down. Everyone panicked and screamed as we heard other planes in the area. Luckily, I had a radio on me and informed everyone that it was the United State Air Force. I had never been more proud to be an American than at that time. Watching the Air Force protect us. Everyone calmed for a second and then the other tower fell. Then there was an incoming report of a plane hitting the pentagon. My jaw dropped and realized that we might die right here and right now. I ask the only person to help, God. I prayed again as I walked.

My girlfriend and I walked about 2 to 3 miles to safety in Brooklyn. It was the worst day of my life and most frightening. I watched specials on 09/11/2005 and the memories came rushing back to my mind as I cried quietly in the arms of my wife remembering all those people who I saw perish. It you were not there, you do not know what happened. The media does not cover the little things. Many people lost arms and legs. Burn to a crisp and some burned to ashes. There are people that died but they were no remains.

I have no doubt, it was an act of war as stated by Osama himself and the United States responded in kind. I am proud to be an American now more than ever and if you don't like it, tough. I tried to enlist afterwards but the army didn't let me because of some medical illness. I would proudly die for this country because of the opportunity this country has given me and my family. It's not perfect but its the only country I have.

Old 09-13-2005, 08:40 PM
HCF Member

you where there? wow. I cant even imagine what that was like. It bothered me for weeks to the point of distraction. i cant comprehend what it would be like if i had actually seen it with my own eyes. damn. well, for what its worth, Im glad you and yours got out OK.

Old 09-14-2005, 12:09 AM

I was driving on the Cross Island Express Way in NYC It was sad NYC was totally crazy and people panicing....so sad

Old 09-14-2005, 03:11 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: sacicons

you where there? wow. I cant even imagine what that was like. It bothered me for weeks to the point of distraction. i cant comprehend what it would be like if i had actually seen it with my own eyes. damn. well, for what its worth, Im glad you and yours got out OK.
Thanks dude. Honestly, none of my family or friends perished that day. A few friends who worked in the Towers never made it in. Remember, the primaries was that day and many went to vote before coming in. That saved their lives.

Anyway, four years have passed and I still panic when I hear an airplane. Therapy helps but sex with my wife helps more. LOL

Just trying to keep it in perspective.

Old 09-14-2005, 04:13 PM
HCF Member

Ray01284, Glad things are gradually improving for you. I can't imagine have gone through a traumatic event as extreme as that. It was nice how everyone prayed more and came together shortly afterwrds. Too bad this perspective doesn't last. Before long everyone is back to taking everything for granted and their usual self-centered day-to-day lives.

Old 09-14-2005, 04:23 PM
HCF Member

Yea, my cousin saw it. He has pictures and everything. His right hand woman in the office started crying because her mom worked near the top of one of the towers.