The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Help please asap, i need advice on what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 06:54 AM
HCF Member
Default Help please asap, i need advice on what to do?

Okay, i know this is a civic forum but i need some advice asap.
I want to store my 00 civic in the garage for the winter so i found a 95 toyota corrola for $2000.
I took the rola for a drive yesterday and it seemed to drive nice and smooth, everything seemed fine, except for maybe a slight noise up front, more like a belt needing to be adjusted possibly.
I ended up buying the car for $2000, but only put a $100 deposit down on it, and will pay the owner the other $1900 later when i pick it up (if i do now).

I didnt do a carfax report on it, but i just did a few minutes ago and found out the car was severely damaged and issued a salvage title. It say the accident happened back in 1997 (same year the owner said he bought the car). Like i said it drove nice, he says he had the timing belt done at 70,000 miles, new balljoints up front, 02 sensor done, ignition module, starter replaced all at i believe different times because he had all the service records for this vehicle. According to Carfax, the salvage title was issued at 27,000 mile son the car, and it now has 91,000.
Now either i can still get the vehicle from him, drive it this winter, see how it does, then sell it afterwards, or since i only wrote him a $100 deposit check, i could just say forget it(my mistake for not checking on this first) and not return his phone calls or I could call the guy up and let him know i did a report on it and am not content with the outcome.
Please everyone, let me know what i should do here, asap, below is a copy of the repot incase it could help in any way.
thanks.

ALERT! Severe problems (major accidents, fire, flood damage, major odometer problems or lemon history) were reported by a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) for this 1995 TOYOTA COROLLA LE/DX (2T1AE09B6SC137804). This vehicle does NOT qualify for the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee.

CARFAX Talking CarTM
The story of this 1995 TOYOTA COROLLA LE/DX (2T1AE09B6SC137804) according to our interpretation of the information reported to CARFAX:
This sedan has had 1 owner in New York. It was originally registered by the owner for personal use.
It was severely damaged and issued a Salvage title by a New York DMV.
It has not been reported by a DMV as having an Exceeds Mechanical Limits or Not Actual Mileage title.
It has a consistent mileage history with no indication of an odometer rollback. It was driven an average of 9,125 miles per year, which is lower than the industry average of 15,000. The last odometer reading, reported on 04/06/2005, was 88,988 miles.
It was not reported by a DMV as a Manufacturer Buyback or LEMON.
Go to the Detailed Vehicle History for the complete history and a glossary of terms.

Report Summary
1. ACCIDENT CHECK

Total Loss Check Severe Accident or Total Loss Event Reported by a DMV
Other Accident Indicators No Accident Indicators Reported
2. MILEAGE ACCURACY CHECK

Truth-In-Mileage Check No Odometer Problems Reported by a DMV
Odometer Rollback Check No Potential Odometer Rollback Found
Mileage Consistency Check No Inconsistent Odometer Reading Found
3. LEMON CHECKĀ®
No Mfr. Buyback Reported by a DMV
4. OWNERSHIP CHECK

Number of Owners 1 Estimated Owner(s)
Type of Owners Originally Registered as a Personal Vehicle
5. RECALL CHECK
TOYOTA Does Not Report Recalls to CARFAX
6. WARRANTY CHECK
No Data Reported to CARFAX
DETAILED VEHICLE HISTORY 10 HISTORY RECORDS REPORTED
Tell us what you know about this vehicle

Year/Make/Model: 1995 TOYOTA COROLLA LE/DX

Body Style: SEDAN 4 DR
Engine: 1.8 FI L4 EFI
Fuel: GASOLINE
Driveline: FRONT WHEEL DRIVE
Manufactured in: CANADA
Safety Equipment: 4 Wheel ABS Optional, Dual front air bags/active (manual) belts

Standard Equipment: Power Windows Optional, Power Steering, Air Conditioning Optional, Power Brakes, Tilt Wheel, 6-digit Odometer

FREE to you from CARFAX. Additional information to help you make the right decision when buying or selling a used car or truck.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking for other 1995 TOYOTA COROLLA LE/DX vehicles like this one in your area?
Get a complete, up-to-date list of CARFAX Hot Listings

What are other CARFAX customers saying about this 1995 TOYOTA COROLLA LE/DX?
Share what you know about this vehicle - Add a CARFAX Customer Rating & Comment.

Total Loss Check:

ALERT! Severe damage events were reported by a DMV for this 1995 TOYOTA COROLLA LE/DX (2T1AE09B6SC137804). This vehicle does NOT qualify for the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee.

Salvage Title Reported No Loss Due To Fire Title Reported
No Junk Title Reported No Flood Damage Title Reported
No Rebuilt/Reconstructed Title Reported No Hail Damage Title Reported
No Dismantled Title Reported No Canadian Total Loss Record Reported

AZ, FL, GA, IL, MN, NJ, NM, NY, OK and OR issue Salvage Titles to identify severely damaged and/or stolen vehicles. Not all stolen vehicles are total losses; many can be recovered with minor or no damage. CARFAX recommends you have the vehicle inspected by your dealer or professional mechanic to assess the damage.

Other Accident Indicators:

This 1995 TOYOTA COROLLA LE/DX (2T1AE09B6SC137804) had no accident indicators reported to CARFAX from its sources. This section checks for accidents and/or related damage reported from many public and private sources. Not all accidents are reported to CARFAX. A vehicle inspection completed by your dealer or professional mechanic is recommended.

No Salvage Auction Record Reported No Crash Test Vehicle Record Reported
No Fire Damage Record Reported No Airbag Deployment Record Reported
No Frame Damage Record Reported No Damage Disclosure Record Reported
No Police Accident Record Reported No Collision Repair Facility Record Reported

CARFAX depends on public and private sources for its accident data. Each one of these sources has different processing times. CARFAX can only report what is in our database on 03.Oct.2005 06:43:23. New data will result in a change to this report.
Not all accidents are reported to the Police. Tell us if you know of other fender benders, accidents or damage.

CARFAX Help Center

Truth-In-Mileage Check:

None of the following major odometer problems were ever reported by a DMV under the Truth-In-Mileage Act for this 1995 TOYOTA COROLLA LE/DX (2T1AE09B6SC137804).

Not Actual Mileage Title - issued by DMV when the owner discloses mileage fraud or a broken odometer.
Exceeds Mechanical Limits Title - issued by DMV when the owner discloses an odometer rollover.

Odometer Rollback Check:

CARFAX found no odometer rollbacks for this 1995 TOYOTA COROLLA LE/DX (2T1AE09B6SC137804). Rollbacks reported in this section originate from readings collected by a DMV or other verifiable source.

Mileage Consistency Check:

CARFAX found no inconsistent odometer readings in the mileage history of this 1995 TOYOTA COROLLA LE/DX (2T1AE09B6SC137804).

Date: Mileage:
11/08/1995 40
11/20/1997 27,493
09/07/2000 56,083
04/06/2005 88,988

Average miles driven per year 9,125 CARFAX AdvisorTM Compare this vehicle's average annual mileage to the industry average of 15,000 miles per year. Use this comparison to determine how this vehicle was driven.

Do you know this vehicle's current mileage? Tell us and help protect others from mileage fraud.

CARFAX Help Center

No manufacturer buyback was ever reported by a DMV for this 1995 TOYOTA CORO

Old 10-03-2005, 07:30 AM
Default RE: Help please asap, i need advice on what to do?

Tell him you did a Carfax and that you want your deposit back, I'm assuming he never told you about the damage... I would definately get my money back and find something else if I were you. Jeeps are great in the winter and you can find a good one for about 2-3k.

Old 10-03-2005, 07:43 AM

You have a few choices here:

You could tell him you want the $100 back since he didn't tell you about the accident, and if he resists, take him to small claims court for the $100 (I know where I live, there's a cost for registering a small claims case.......probably be half of the $100).

If you like the car, you could tell him you found out about the accident which he neglected to tell you about, and get him to lower the price and then buy the car. It's only gonna be a winter car for you anyways, and if he drove it from 27,000 miles to 91,000 miles, it must be drivable.

Old 10-03-2005, 08:36 AM

well, this is what came to mind when i read this. i owned a 96 toyota *cough* tercel for seven years, and in 2004 the temp gauge went out, and then just this year the factory battery finally shot craps and had to be replaced. those are the only things that needed attention when i owned it. i'm betting this guy isn't going to admit that he knows it was in an accident, and he may not even know it. if he bought it the year it was damaged, that could be a legitimate excuse. however, nothing has stopped him from running a carfax on it himself, so that could be negligence. i would get your money back or do what ngoti8tor says, but then i'd also have a mechanic give it a good inspection to see how bad the car was damaged.

Old 10-03-2005, 11:50 AM
HCF Member

What you'll want to do is tell him you want to test drive it and then run it into something to see if it's still strudy. I'd say a 45 mph collision with a fixed object such as, tree, large building or pond would do the trick nicely. Then bring it back to him and tell him that there's some damage to it.

Old 10-03-2005, 12:43 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Jeremy102579
11/08/1995 40 New York
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Pittsford, NY
Title issued or updated
First owner reported

11/20/1997 27,493 New York
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Webster, NY
SALVAGE TITLE/CERTIFICATE ISSUED
Wow, trashed right here in Rochester!

Old 10-03-2005, 12:47 PM
HCF Member

Yep, he's one of us. There's actually several people from Roch running around in here.

Old 10-03-2005, 03:16 PM
HCF Member

well i called the seller back and told him i did a history report on the vehicle. he found this odd and said his title is a clean title that he got back in 1997 the same year the accident happened according to carfax which claimed its a salvage title.

He said he will mail my check back to me, and i told him i would send him a copy of the report via mail. I canceled the check anyway online, so even if he tried to cash it, it wont.

I honestly believe the guy but obviously something is fishy according to the title on carfax and the one he has.

He told me he took the car add out of the local paper, and i apologized for the inconvenience of this whole situation. The car may be around for another 10 years but i thought it would be best for me to back out. Looks like i wont be getting a beater for the winter now and will just drive my 00 coupe in the snow.