The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Let's talk cell phones

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Super Cereal Admin
Default Let's talk cell phones

So I discovered today that my phone's speaker no longer works. The weird part is it worked fine this morning (I have a wake-up alarm set in addition to using an alarm clock because I'm not a morning person).

Anyway, what's everyone's recommendations for phones? The criteria are as follows:

-Must have a SIM card slot (I use AT&T)
-Not too expensive. I don't need a freakin' iPhone or anything like that.
-Sliding preferred over flip-phones, but flip-phones are acceptable
-A keyboard would be nice but not necessary. I text a lot, but after four years of using the standard 1-9 button layout I'm quite proficient at it.
-I only text and use the phone as a phone. Basically, I don't need anything too fancy, so the phone doesn't have to be useful for accessing the internet or anything like that.
-NO blackberries. F*ck blackberry.
-Touch-screens may or may not be acceptable. If the price is right I might go for it, but I can see me somehow screwing up the screen fairly quickly.

Basically, I haven't shopped for a phone for about four years now, so I have no clue about current phones on the market. I buy a phone that works for me and use it until it gets FUBAR, rinse and repeat.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:24 PM
HCF Member

Hmm well I use Verizon and have been very satisfied with them for a long time. It's hard to find cheap phones because all companies are switching to smart phones with a must buy internet usage so my bill is forced to rise.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Cat Fuсker

Sonim XP3 FTMFW. Watch the youtube user reviews as to why. 3 year uncinditional warranty too.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Super Cereal Admin

What's the price range on them, gene? I'm talking eBay/Amazon. I hate cell phone provider stores.

(and as a side note, I just remembered about the bluetooth headset I've had sitting in my center console for forever. Now I get to look like a raging douche while talking on my phone lol)

Old 09-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Cat Fuсker

It's expensive...but the warranty and the rugged specs make it a worthwhile purchase. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgg7p6ZvvoI - take a look at them using it as a hammer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX0oDyjc2ak - video of the model I recommended.

Last edited by StifflersMom; 09-07-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Super Cereal Admin

I'm at work right now, I'll check the videos out when I get home.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:06 PM
Cat Fuсker

watch the vids damint

Old 09-07-2010, 10:15 PM
HCF Member

Dam thats a sick phone lol.
i think it would keep me busy for at least the 3 years. haha

Old 09-07-2010, 10:33 PM
Cat Fuсker

It's be nice to be able to use your phone instead of looking for a piece of 2x4 to put on a jack to jack up the car in the wrong spot...

Old 09-08-2010, 05:00 PM
HCF Member

If you havent shopped for a phone in 4 years you should be elidgible for an upgrade with att. You can get the iphone4 16gig which costs $600 without a contract for only $200 with a contract renewal. I repair broken iPhones and touch screens arent as fragile as people think. I have replaced screens tho and a new lcd for an iphone is like $20 - $30 on ebay so its not that big a deal if you break it. I know your not looking for something that advanced but its really easy to catch onto using an iphone and if you jailbreak it you can unlock so many more usefull apps than the appstore sells (plus you can get just about any appstore app for free via 3rd party). Hell you could even get a 3gs iphone for $100 with an upgrade.

Quick Reply: Let's talk cell phones