The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Need help with buying a new computer

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 02:03 PM
Default RE: Need help with buying a new computer

LOL... Didn't Dell just buy out Alienware? If you're not going to build your own... HP is a good way to go... so is Lenovo (but you're going to pay more) To the guy who likes Dell laptops...
I work at Insight... one of the world's largest IT solutions providers... follow this link to check out our products

P.S. just so you know... I don't get any commission from selling you stuff... just giving you a link

Old 10-10-2006, 02:09 PM

ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness

Pentium Duos aren't really 2 processors, they have like 2 pipelines. You can buy mother boards that can support 2(or 4) physical processors (my old computer had this). DO NOT BUY Alienware. At least Dell has good deals, Alienware just *** rapes you. $3000 for a gaming computer is too much. The real prob with Dell is that they have almost 0 upgradability. My buddy just got a dell for like 600 (i think) but it can't be upgraded at all. You are stuck with the built in video card, only 2 RAM slots. You can hook up another hard drive and a couple PCI adapter but thats about it. For a good computer ur gonna have to for a XPS which is well over $1000 i believe. You have $1000, that is more than enough to build a kick *** gaming computer. It is not that hard!!!!! I built a computer for a buddy of mine. Honestly, the hardest part is putting the motherboard onto the case. The rest is hooking up wires. If your really uncomfortable with building it yourself, find a friend that knows how to (offer to fix his car or something). I dunno if Pentium 4s are obselete now, but back when i was really into computers the Pentium 4 Extreme Edition was the **** for gaming computers.
this guy knows what he's talking about. ROFL, Dell doesnt use ATX power supplies either. Therefore, if you want to upgrade a video card in the future and need a new powere supply - you're SOL

Old 10-10-2006, 02:18 PM
HCF Member

Neon is right. Get something with Athlon X2
NEWEGG FTW

Old 10-10-2006, 02:21 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: phoenix_gtr

Neon is right. Get something with Athlon X2
NEWEGG FTW

Oh Dell has some cheap and good monitors, or samsung

Old 10-10-2006, 03:07 PM

dont get dell, i made that mistake one time...the only real worthwhile and not hole in your pocket built comps are those from HP...

Old 10-10-2006, 05:48 PM
HCF Member

Its not that i'm biased towards Dell or anything. Hell i use one of thier laptops and i had one of thier desktops forever b4 i got my HP. I still stand by my statement that Dells has 0 upgradability. If you don't believe then crack open a dell desktop and show me where i can install a decent video card. Also, it only had 2 slots for memory. Just about every mobo you will find on the market has 4. Just to install an extra hard drive and an extra DVD-burner on my buddy's Dell i had to go out and buy a Y-connector just to fit all the stuff in. The only reason i didn't stop my friend from buying one was b/c he was getting a computer and a monitor for like $600. He really isn't a gamer or anything so he isn't going to use the computer to its full potential anyway.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:34 PM
HCF Member

www.cyberpowerinc.com

a friend of mine and i built our computers on alienware's website a couple years back. then i found that site and we both built the exact same computers (except with different cases and power supplies) for almost 2 grand less.

too bad i fried that computer. it was hella fast.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:01 PM

Nail that looks like a good site. Im debating between that or HP now. What kind of processor should I get for gaming?

Old 10-11-2006, 12:16 PM
HCF Member

You can build for around a thousand dollars what you can buy for about 3000. But, if you cannot build one, I'd go with the dell. Avoid eMachines, HP, or Compaq. Also, pay attention to things most people miss such as the bus speed on the processor and the bus speed on the ram and video card. If you buy a Mac, you'll be paying around 500-1000 dollars extra for the same level of PC. When properly maintained, like an automobile, a PC will run without a hitch... and if you're really worried about stability, you can install one of the many Linux distros on PC.... on mac you're limited only to distros that work with PPC.... not sure about what linux distros you can run on the new intel-powered macs.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:55 PM

If gaming wasnt a concern - I would go for eMachine. I was never big on games and I'm on my 2nd eMachine now. I had the 1st one for 5 years and current one for about 3. They are not very upgradeable, but I got the 1st one for $400. I got the current one for about $350 (after rebates) with monitor and printer. It's a ****ty computer for gaming though

Quick Reply: Need help with buying a new computer