The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Should I turn my computer off at night?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 03:33 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Should I turn my computer off at night?

Yeah, excessive dust is bad business. Clogs the airflow, slows down fans and, if bad enough, it can even act as an insulator keeping and generating heat inside the case. I always give my case and parts a thorough cleaning every few months or so. Moisture and dust are the 2 major comp killers people don't usualy realize or do anything about.

Comps are like cars man, regular matinence and minor upgrades and they can last for years, and crashing is still painful.
LOL too true, I try and clean my computer out every 2 months or so, which reminds me i need to get more compressed air, which is the ONLY way to clean it..

Old 05-31-2007, 04:35 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Fiirkan

Yeah, excessive dust is bad business. Clogs the airflow, slows down fans and, if bad enough, it can even act as an insulator keeping and generating heat inside the case. I always give my case and parts a thorough cleaning every few months or so. Moisture and dust are the 2 major comp killers people don't usualy realize or do anything about.

Comps are like cars man, regular matinence and minor upgrades and they can last for years, and crashing is still painful.
LOL too true, I try and clean my computer out every 2 months or so, which reminds me i need to get more compressed air, which is the ONLY way to clean it..
don't use a vacuum.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:40 PM
HCF Member

^ + infinity. NEVER Use a vacume, ever under any circumstances.... NEVER. usng a vacume can cause a short in the computer and fry your entire computer

Old 05-31-2007, 05:01 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Fiirkan

I leave mine on, but restarting everynow and then doesn't hurt. I have 4 fans on mine too but they help me sleep at night I leave mine on 24/7

dito..... my old computer was on 24/7 365............. never had any problems other than the harddrive went bad a few times in the 6-7years of it running like that.... LOL

and lets face it.... every few years these computers are outta date anyways!!!!!!
thats the only reason i even got this new computer is cause my old computer is just way to slow and i cannt find any cheap memory for it to try and speed it up.lol but i love this new one SO MUCH MORE!!!!! i just need alot larger HD for my tv tuner card recorder.LOL

i always have to have my computer running so the fans help put me to sleep... its without the fans when its hard to sleep. plus with 2 dogs ya hear every little pop in the house and they freak out! they need a larger fan so they dont go nuts at night pissen me off!

Old 05-31-2007, 08:06 PM
HCF Member

A couple of you have said never to use a vacuum cleaner to clean out a case. If you go to your local big box hardware store you can find these miniature extensions which work quite well. I don't like blowing dust around the bench so I started using them a couple of years ago and have not had any problems. The AA battery is for size comparison.

Name:  PA170697Small.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  21.0 KB

Old 05-31-2007, 10:51 PM

Yeah, as long as the vacuum is like.. completely plastic it should be fine. The ones with metal hose ends are the ones that will kill your comp. They usualy arent grounded and will short your comp. Plastic doesnt really conduct electricity tho, so it should be fine. I've never done it myself, but it should work just fine. as long as the vacuum is grounded and uses plastic parts it should be completely fine. I'd still perfer compressed air, but thats just me. *shrugs*

Static electricity would still be a concern, but as long as you discharge it before using it it shouldn't be a problem.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:52 PM
HCF Member

labtops FTW! lol, don't have to worry about such foolish things, lol

Old 05-31-2007, 10:57 PM

Ya know they can't legally be called laptops by people who sell them anymore? Hahaha. That implies you can put them on your lap, but nowadays they get to hot, can burn your crotch and cause imptentcy. That's why if you ever go to Best Buy or something the call them "notebooks." They come with thier share of necessary cleaning too tho. Not as much, but you can still clean out the keyboard and clear the vents, if it has them.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:07 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: crayzieman

Ya know they can't legally be called laptops by people who sell them anymore? Hahaha. That implies you can put them on your lap, but nowadays they get to hot, can burn your crotch and cause imptentcy. That's why if you ever go to Best Buy or something the call them "notebooks." They come with thier share of necessary cleaning too tho. Not as much, but you can still clean out the keyboard and clear the vents, if it has them.
i said labtop, and yeah, that's pretty funny. but i keep my "notebook" very clean, it really never gets dirty because i take good care of it. i just can't stand it when people have food, dust, other **** in their keyboards (my keys are very close together, so that helps)

Old 05-31-2007, 11:39 PM

When i was in college (went for electronic engineering) the first thing they taught us was that heat does not hurt electronics (considering the heat is not excessive). It is the heating up and cooling down cycle that does the most damage to electronics. That is why I leave my PC's on constantally. But like it was said before a good defrag and restart every now and again does wonders

Quick Reply: Should I turn my computer off at night?