The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Should I turn my computer off at night?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 06:03 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Should I turn my computer off at night?

well labtops may not get as dusty.... but it doesnt take much to trash thier cooling fans with alittle dust everything is packed in thier so tightly that its harder for dust to get between spots... but also alot easier to burn your jewels if its a laptop LMFAO

i just use compressed air to blast my computuer every few months or so.... i just inplug everything and take it outside go PST PST PSTTTTTT DUSTED...LOL

Old 06-01-2007, 06:05 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Gene J

A couple of you have said never to use a vacuum cleaner to clean out a case. If you go to your local big box hardware store you can find these miniature extensions which work quite well. I don't like blowing dust around the bench so I started using them a couple of years ago and have not had any problems. The AA battery is for size comparison.

Yeah the thing about using compressed air is that it can be mesy just blowing stuff around, i always take the computer outside and do it.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Hailchristian

Well...if its a Mac, they are made to stay on for long periods of time and actually are not sopozed to be turned off (at least for G4's and what not)
LOL... yep... because Mac's are made of special alien materials... not conventional computer parts...

The only computers that are "designed" to be on all the time are servers... they are engineered with parts that are made to last a long time in an always-on environment.Including redundant powersupplies... and other fail-safe parts.

Truth is... either way is not bad. I have not seen a difference with leaving it on all the time... or turning it off at night.... only difference lies in the amount of your electricity bill... and that's usually very minimal. Laptops get dirty also... it's just tougher to yank the case off to clean... I've done plenty of laptop cleanings... where I remove the dustballs from the fans. The worst is when a computer is in a smoker's house... instead of just being dusty... the dust is REALLY smelly... and like MUD... it sticks on everything... you can't just blow it out... ICK.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:21 AM
HCF Member

well i say there is a greater chance of somehting shorting out when it starts up. So why not leave it on. JK I leave mine on all the time ..if i were to probably guess id say that my comps been on for at least 2 weeks now since the last restart. And before that it was probably the same. IMO leave it on.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:10 AM
HCF Member

I leave mine on continuously. I only turn it off for updates and when requested by a program. I probably turn it off aboutonce per week, if that. I do however have the hard drive shut off after 30 minutes of inactivity. You can set that by Control Panel>Power Options.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:56 AM
HCF Member

^ +1 on the HDD shut off.. !! CHEA!