The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Tool Talk

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 02:07 PM
HCF Member
Default Tool Talk

How could we do any things we do to our cars without tools? So why not talk about what we use/have or looking to get.

So what's your preference on tools? Snap On, Matco, Mac, Craftsman, Husky, Harbor Freight, etc. Most people on here are just doin weekend work on their cars, some are professional mechanics such as Reaper, and some are aspiring mechanics such as myself. So what do you prefer?

I myself have a LOT of tools, mainly Craftsman. Looking to upgrade my stuff to Snappys/Matco/Mac. This week I'm going to either be getting a set of Snap On metric wrenches or Matcos on eBay. Snap Ons are an auction (probably go for like $175), so we'll see how high they go, otheriwse I'll buy it now the matco's ($130), and last resort Craftsman Pros if I don't feel like spending the cash ($90).

Old 09-07-2010, 02:56 PM
HCF Member

I like Craftsman, it is cheap and durable. However, my favorite tool is my Milwaukee Sawzall. That thing has saved me hours of cursing numerous times.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:13 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Craftsman. I've left more tools in customer cars (usually left on top the windshield wiper cowl) than I have broken. Actually, I've only broken two things... a 1/2" to 3/8" drive impact reducer and a 1/2" to 3/8" drive chrome reducer. And no, I didn't break them both doing the same thing (the impact was victim to Audi lug bolts and the chrome was victim to a Chrysler 3.8L head bolt).

That being said, there's a mall with a Sears less than 5 miles away from the dealership, so it's not an inconvenience to turn broken tools in for warranty replacements.

And my favorite tool is my Craftsman Professional 1/2" drive impact. The bolts it can't loosen get broken

*edit: Also, GearWrench ratcheting wrenches are extremely useful

Old 09-07-2010, 03:25 PM
HCF Member

I've got the big full set of GearWrench metric wrenches and I LOVE them, they work so nice.

I've got a big Craftsman collection, but I kinda want to step up to Snap On in things like wrenches and sockets. All the mechanics at Acura by me are workin with 75% snap On/Matco/Mac.

I'm also on the market for a new impact. Been looking at Ingersoll Rand and Matco/Snap On. One of my fav mechanics at Acura that I help with stuff most the time had an IR that he said was great, but has snappy now. Those things are like Nascar grade lol, tap it and the lugs completely off. Price isn't too bad either.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Super Cereal Admin

I've used an IR impact once and didn't have any huge complaints about it. My CP has a composite body, so it's pretty light as far as 1/2"-dr impacts go (especially one as beefy as the one I use). I've used a Snap-On, also. It weighed a little more than my CP, but not too much; the only problem I had with it is it had a clutch for the anvil, so as soon as you let off the trigger the anvil stopped spinning. It doesn't sound like it would make a difference, but with my CP I can remove and tighten lug nuts a lot quicker; if you keep the anvil spinning a little, it's easier to just press the socket onto the nut and let it feed. If the anvil stops, you actually have to line the socket and nut up. For a hobbyist, I don't think it would be a huge deal, but for professional use it makes life a little easier (you can always tell when I'm the one using the impact to take wheels off or tighten them down by listening... it takes me almost no time at all ).

And contrary to popular belief, using an impact to tighten lugs (even without a torque stick) won't do any true harm. No, the torque specs won't be perfect, but if you have a good feel for it, you can get it close with no damage to the threads. It's when people take an impact and keep hammering on the nut after it's tight that the damage occurs.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:58 PM

I have a bunch of WalMart/Harbor Freight tools. Just the basic metric sockets and wrenches, 5mm to 19mm. My favorite tool is a Craftsman vice grip I found rusted at the junk yard. Knocked the rust off, oiled it up, good as new. Actually, lots of my screwdrivers and such were junkyard finds.

Hell yeah, free sample.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:30 PM
Chubby Chaser

most of all my tools are stanley,(husky) same company, they offer lifetime warranty on everything and have serial numbers, i just call and report whats broke and they without any questions mail me a replacement. and i just throw away the broken one. and they are alot cheapier to buy than crastman and have the same durability. My favorite tool is a small sledge hammer and a grinder

Old 09-07-2010, 05:16 PM
HCF Member

At Acura they are really particular on torqueing lugs. We use torque sticks to 80 ft lbs, they have to use a normal torque wrench to torque them to 95 ft/lbs or whatever. And then you have to initial on the ro and put your work number, then someone else has to initial saying they saw you torque em, then you have to drive the car.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:40 PM
Super Cereal Admin

I don't think I've ever seen someone actually torque down lug nuts here. I'd assume there were problems with people leaving lugs too loose or screwing up the threads by over-torquing the lugs for them to be that **** about it. Even the BMW dealership here in Lex isn't that **** about wheel torque.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:59 PM
HCF Member

Yea idk, but it is really annoying. There's one mechanic who's an idiot and annoying as **** and makes us come over and do his, and he bitches about everything. But he's an idiot and didn't tighten down caliper bolts on a rear brake (his name was on the ro for the brake job), car came in last week and the caliper had fallen off and the bolts were missing.

And 2 weeks ago a guy was working on an MDX (suv), he had the tailgate open for some reason. Put the car up on the hoist, put it all the way, the cieling fan ended up hitting the open tail gate. Beat the **** out of it lmao, was so loud and so funny. He's only been there like a year or two, the guy who had the stall before him and that quit apparently did that a bunch of times.

Quick Reply: Tool Talk