The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

What to expect at the dyno.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 11:40 PM
Default What to expect at the dyno.

So, I finally bought a new car. Since Honda doesn't offer a hatchback for '06 (besides the Fit which puts down a whopping 109bhp. Whoopee.) and since all of the Honda dealerships in my area were really slow to get back to me, I bought a Mazda3 hatchback. As much as I was into the Civic, the Mazda3 was a real bargain. It's got plenty of cargo space, 17in alloys, 160hp/150lb of torque and, even though my wife wanted an auto, I can still pick my own gear with their automated manual option. The dealer gave it to me at invoice, too (which was really convincing when it came down to deciding). It's an awesome ride, too. The suspension's really nice and it eats all of the potholes while exhibiting almost no body roll through hard cornering. It pulls really hard at almost any speed, too.

At any rate, since I live in the city and there's really no open spaces that I can drive the car WOT and give the engine a propper breaking in, I'm taking the car to the dyno shop around the corner from my house. I've never been before. What should I expect and what should I prepare ahead of time?
Thanks in advance!

(I'll post pics after the trip to the dyno.)

Old 05-25-2006, 11:59 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: What to expect at the dyno.

Usually you take it easy on the engine to break it in. You don't do WOT runs to break an engine in.

Old 05-26-2006, 12:12 AM

I know. I'm just worried that since this car won't see much of the highway (let alone un-trafficed highway) for its formative stages, the piston rings won't seal properly since they're never under much more load than what city driving allows.

Old 05-26-2006, 12:21 AM

yeah mazdas have killer stock suspension setups. i really think u should wait a while before u put ur engine under the stress of a dyno considering its brand new..

Old 05-26-2006, 12:27 AM

Well, that's two emphatic "Don't do it" replies.
What's my next best option?

Old 05-26-2006, 02:08 AM
HCF Member

its under warranty right???? take it to the dyno blow the damn think then take it back and have them replace it... there ya go..

now.. if it was my car... i wouldnt be taking it to the dyno

also what to expect i dont know i have never been to a dyno besides for on need for speed underground 2

Old 05-26-2006, 08:46 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness

Usually you take it easy on the engine to break it in. You don't do WOT runs to break an engine in.
Isn't this a thing of the past....I thought nowadays with tighter tolerances you wanted to drive it like you stole it.....You get a very limited time to allow everything to "seat" in. Heck my 03 (Dodge) didn't have ANYTHING in the manual about keeping it under such and such a speed until 500 miles etc..
I would hold off on a dyno until you have at least 5000 miles on it. Then you'll have actual numbers you can count on.

Old 05-26-2006, 10:31 AM
mxs
HCF Member

go to the highway, theye has to be a highway around there somewhere. Take the money you would have spent at the dyno, and buy some gas instead.

btw, nice car, my friend has one

Old 05-26-2006, 05:18 PM
HCF Member

Got a warranty don't you?? Beat it like it owes you money!!!! If it breaks, "Um sorry mister dealership. not sure what happened. My wife went to the store and the damn thing started leaking!!!!" Hehe, but thats just me. Some people want there stuff to last more than 150,000 miles!!![sm=innoc.gif]