The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

windows 64bit

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 09:56 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: windows 64bit

Go into BIOS and set the first start up device to be the e: drive. Whenyou restart it should ask you if you want to install the 64-bit version.

What brand/model pc do you have? Is the MB compatible with 64-bit? Fiirkan is right, if your system is not designed from the get-go for 64-bit you will have nothing but trouble.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:38 AM
HCF Member

its a gateway pc. for what i understand my pc only reads 3gb cuz of win32 bit. having win64 bit will enable me to read the full or more than 4gb RAM. i was thinking on restoring my pc and when asked to put the cd put the win 64 and run it... will it work?

Old 07-26-2007, 06:14 AM

First of all, it doesn't sound like an issue with the operating system. Second, the CD with 64bit version of windows should be bootable. Try inserting the CD and restarting.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:16 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: andryuha

First of all, it doesn't sound like an issue with the operating system. Second, the CD with 64bit version of windows should be bootable. Try inserting the CD and restarting.
To do it that way, be sure to set the computer to boot from disk and specifiy CD disk not 3½" floppy

Old 07-26-2007, 10:12 PM

First off... if you don't know that WinXP 32-bit can handle 4GB RAM, then... I would guess you're probably not technical enough to setup a 64-bit system. It requires a whole new set of drivers, which you may or may not be able to find. I would agree with the rest... perhaps your BIOS settings are not configured correctly. Perhaps 1 of your sticks is not seated correctly... I've loaded MANY PC's with 4GB RAM with Windows XP Pro 32-bit (which is what Media Center Edition is... just a little enhancement). What is your video memory set at? Does the memory POST correctly? If it's a brand new computer... take it to where you bought it... and have them help you. By doing it yourself, you run the risk of messing it up and having to pay someone to do it (trust me, I charge $80-110 an hour to fix people's mistakes) You can not upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit, you have to reload the OS, which also means formatting your hard drive and losing your data. make sure you have a good backup. You are looking at what Windows reports as RAM... it may be taken by something else.... like video... if it shares with system memory, it will not show up.. (and yes, you can configure it to take up to 1GB of RAM in many instances... )

The error you're getting is due to trying to run a 64-bit application on a 32-bit operating system... not gonna work.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:06 AM

Yea, you have to boot the CD. You obviously cannot launch a 64 bit installer from within the 32 bit OS

Old 07-29-2007, 12:58 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: RenegadeCivic

First off... if you don't know that WinXP 32-bit can handle 4GB RAM, then... I would guess you're probably not technical enough to setup a 64-bit system. It requires a whole new set of drivers, which you may or may not be able to find. I would agree with the rest... perhaps your BIOS settings are not configured correctly. Perhaps 1 of your sticks is not seated correctly... I've loaded MANY PC's with 4GB RAM with Windows XP Pro 32-bit (which is what Media Center Edition is... just a little enhancement). What is your video memory set at? Does the memory POST correctly? If it's a brand new computer... take it to where you bought it... and have them help you. By doing it yourself, you run the risk of messing it up and having to pay someone to do it (trust me, I charge $80-110 an hour to fix people's mistakes) You can not upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit, you have to reload the OS, which also means formatting your hard drive and losing your data. make sure you have a good backup. You are looking at what Windows reports as RAM... it may be taken by something else.... like video... if it shares with system memory, it will not show up.. (and yes, you can configure it to take up to 1GB of RAM in many instances... )

The error you're getting is due to trying to run a 64-bit application on a 32-bit operating system... not gonna work.
thanks, i see. the sticks are in their proper place, not one hanging out or misplaced. concerning my video memory setting im not sure what you mean by that or by POST correctly. thanks for the help guys...

Old 07-29-2007, 10:04 PM

POST is "Power On Self Test"... when you start your computer, it'll POST (it shows many of the BIOS settings including RAM amount) I think you said yours was a Gateway... it'll have a splash screen instead of a standard POST, but there's a keystroke you can press... not sure which one, though. I'd tell you to look in the BIOS, but that's dangerous if you don't know what you're doing... I still think your best bet, if you're worried, is to take it back to where you bought it... and have them explain it to you.. and possibly check it out. If you have a bad RAM module, it MAY still work... and not show up, however usually there are issues involved.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:52 AM
HCF Member

well after all you guys have been saying that with win64 i might not be able to run all the programs or have problems with some of them. i called to see if i can return the cd and they said no. i went over to best buy (where i got my pc ) and a guy told me that the motherboard is set up that way, to "show you" or "see" that much memory, and that i can add a small chip on the motherboard that its about 60-80 bucks and that will enable me to run more stuff on my tower like another proccesor or more RAM. is that true? he said that the balck lil box its like a chip that goes on a lil space of the motherboard... if thats true i will keep my win 32 and sell the win64 on ebay what you guys think?

Old 07-30-2007, 10:50 AM

guy from best buy is likely telling you a load of bull****

please post exact model & specs of your system as given by gateway

for instance: gateway dx430s

that'll generally help people figure out what the configuration of your system actually is.

also, as stated above, you can't run a 64bit program on a 32bit system

edit: please also note, pentium D processors are not a true 64bit processor.

Quick Reply: windows 64bit