The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

windows 64bit

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 08:33 PM
Default RE: windows 64bit

ORIGINAL: civic4ever

well after all you guys have been saying that with win64 i might not be able to run all the programs or have problems with some of them. i called to see if i can return the cd and they said no. i went over to best buy (where i got my pc ) and a guy told me that the motherboard is set up that way, to "show you" or "see" that much memory, and that i can add a small chip on the motherboard that its about 60-80 bucks and that will enable me to run more stuff on my tower like another proccesor or more RAM. is that true? he said that the balck lil box its like a chip that goes on a lil space of the motherboard... if thats true i will keep my win 32 and sell the win64 on ebay what you guys think?
Wow, that's a new one... never heard of a "black little box" that boosts RAM... I think he's feeding you a line. If the MB can't handle 4GB of RAM, Gateway shouldn't have put it in there.... I say take it to a reputable computer shop that doesn't drive around VW Beetles to be "cool"... too bad you're not in AZ, I'd have you bring it to our shop.... or you could call Gateway and ask them what's up... I'm telling you... you don't need Windows XP x64 (64-bit) to run 4GB RAM... I just built a Core 2 Duo with 4GB Ram and XP 32-bit... ran just fine... with 4GB RAM showing up... Either the motherboard doesn't support 4GB RAM, or you have a BIOS setting off... I'm not so sure about Best Buy's tech support... they're usually pretty good... but... doesn't sound like they are in your area.