Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

"Maintenance Required" indicator

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 09:42 AM
Default "Maintenance Required" indicator

Now, before you say "take it to the shop, its a mileage thing" (my ever-so insightful dad is too quick to jump to that conclusion), heres the thing:

About a week ago, I hit around 85k miles on my 97 ex. The maintenance indicator went orange. But seemingly simultaneously, I started hearing an odd rattling sound/whine when I go from N to 1st, and sometimes between 1st and 2nd. My dad is adamant that I just need to take it to a shop, but myself, I'm a bit tight on cash, and looking to do some performance upgrades soon. I know that I haven't given much information about it, but it's the best I can describe it. If any of you have experienced something similar, can you offer some advice/DIY things i can do to fix it? Or should I just take it to a shop, and get them to check it out, ala the Maintenance indicator?

Old 06-27-2007, 09:47 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: "Maintenance Required" indicator

im almost 100% sure that itgoes off every 3000 miles ( because its a timer and not because anything is wrong )for oil changes... i got a synthetic oil change and that damn light has been solid orange for the last while now. i just dont know how to reset it but if anyone does please reply cuz its driving me crazy!!!!!!

Old 06-27-2007, 09:59 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I think the owner's manual tells you how to find out why the computer decided to turn the indicator on, and what maintenance is due to be done.

Noise from the transmission is probably unrelated. You should check the transmission oil level right away. Possibly a seal went bad and let the oil leak out, which of course will lead to transmission damage if you keep going that way.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:13 PM
HCF Member

okay. hold the little trip odometer button and then turn the ignition key so that the lights on the dash light up(still holding the trip odometer button) and after like ten seconds the maintenance required light goes away.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:30 PM

in 96-00 Civics it will turn orange at about 5k miles and red at 7k miles..

Just insert your key in the little slot next to it in the gauge cluster and it will turn green again

Old 06-27-2007, 01:54 PM
Recognized HCF Member

yep on my 99 civic its just by milage... BUT if its a TRUE light indicator like check engine light thats something else....

Old 06-27-2007, 03:33 PM

nah its just the little orange box. I guess the two are separate from each other. Ok so I should check tranny oil levels, too?

Old 06-27-2007, 04:49 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well its NEVER a bad idea to check your fluids from time to time and top them off

but ya that little box thing is just by milage.... i found that out when i pulled my old cluster and busted it apart for the hell of it.LOL just plastic gears tied into the milage trip meter.... SAME thing as the TRIP gauge.... but instead of the rod sticking out its inset... so just use the key or a small stick to reset it just like the trip milage!

i just reset it when it hits yellow nothing big as long as your smart enough to change your oil regularly

just something honda put thier for stupid people i think... or to just try and get more money from maintance work....LOL

Old 06-27-2007, 06:16 PM
HCF Member

I bet the noise is coming from a loose heat shield. Check under the car for any rusted out bolts on the heatshields.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:31 PM

Ok, I was driving today, and decided I'd try to replicate the noise... and heres what i found:

In neutral, 1st and 2nd gears, there is a loud rattling sound when i get between 3 and 4k rpms. before 3k and after 4k it doesnt seem to happen. I also notice it a bit in 3rd, but havent heard it yet in 4th. neither are as loud as N/1/2. any ideas as to whats up with my 3-4krpm range?

Quick Reply: "Maintenance Required" indicator