Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

02 civic - gauge/electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 10:23 AM
Default 02 civic - gauge/electrical issue

Hi,

A few weeks ago while driving, all gauges went out (lights as well as mechanical operation) - speedo/tach/temp/gas stopped working and went to zero. They came up again after a few minutes (was on interstate). I've had no other electrical or mechanical issues until now.

They worked normally for a few weeks after that and I had almost forgotten about it till now....

The last week or so it's been constantly doing the same thing. Sometimes they won't even come up when I start the car and will randomly turn on after some random amount of time. Other times I'll be driving when they suddenly cut out - sometimes they come back right away, others they don't come back at all.

I've noticed that on the occasions when the guage cluster is out while I'm driving, sometimes flipping the turn signal on, or turning my headlights on - it seems to.. "jump" them and they'll turn on instantly - wth?

I'm not sure where to start with this problem. I've checked fuses and for codes - nothing so far, everything seems to be plugged in with nothing loose. Dealer suggested replacing the turn signal switch for some reason - that didn't do anything and I'm not exactly keen on taking it to them after that.

Anyone dealt with this particular problem?

Old 02-15-2012, 03:32 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Dashboard ground wire, I think it is behind (technically in front of) the cluster if you take the cluster out of the car.