Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

(02 Civic) Possible to drop an EX Motor into an LX Civic?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 10:16 AM
Default (02 Civic) Possible to drop an EX Motor into an LX Civic?

Hey guys. Just have a quick question for you.I currently have an 02 Civic LX Sedan 5spd. Unfortunately as seems to be my luck with all my cars, I blew the motor on it a few weeks back. So now I am looking to replace the engine.I have heard conflicting things about what you can and can not do with little to no modifications so I wanted to post up on here and find out for sure.I was told by numerous people that you can drop an EX (Single Cam V-Tech) Motor into an LX (Single Cam No-Tech) car with no modifications. From what I was told the tranny, ECU, and Wiring harness would work with no modification at all.Now as far as the ECU goes, I was told that you could use the LX ECU and the car would run fine, it just would never go into V-Tech. Once you got an EX ECU then you could actually utilize the Tech.Im just trying to see if that is truly the case or not. Can you drop an EX motor into an LX civic with no modifications or additional parts at all? Also if that is not true, what components would you need in order for it to run? Now I know you would need the ECU for tech, but would the car run fine without the ECU just unable to use Tech?
Thanks for all the help guys!
-Sayajin

Old 04-09-2008, 07:35 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: (02 Civic) Possible to drop an EX Motor into an LX Civic?

First off vtec son. Your correct you wouldnt immediatly want/need the ex ecu. the swap is almost as easy as it gets because everything is the same except for the dizzy and vtec soleniod as far as the wiring harness it might need to be modified to use vtec.