Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

02' Honda Civic EX (auto) - Stuck in Park

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 06:06 PM
Default 02' Honda Civic EX (auto) - Stuck in Park

I have a car that was working perfectly fine, but this week things have been slowly getting worse.

First, I have a HID Kit installed, I left work one day, when I arrived home my headlights went completely out. I noticed when I was in "Park" the car was making a clicking noise coming from the shift, a noise as if a coin fell through and was rattling.

Fast forward a couple days, my lights randomly start working again, all happy, I avoid taking into the mechanic, park my car at home and head to bed. Next morning, I start the car, the car won't even move from park anymore. The car starts up normally but I do notice the gas meter doesn't move at either.

Update# 1: I pressed the shift lock release next to the shifter, I am able to drive the car again. I took it for a spin around the block and it seems if I wan't to continue driving this thing, I'm going to have to keep on pressing this release. The gas, or heat still don't move at all either.

Your help is appreciated.

Last edited by Motion; 03-05-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:18 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Check if the brake lights work. I think that they are part of the circuit that activates the solenoid so you can't shift out of park unless the brake pedal is pressed. There will be a slot near the shift lever to release the handle so you can drive-- insert the Civic key or any sort of car like key to release. But be sure the brake lights work first. Don't go into traffic without brake lights.

Gauges not working suggest that a fuse is blown.