Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

04 Civic + Aftermarket Deck Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 05:26 PM
Default 04 Civic + Aftermarket Deck Problem?

So recently i just installed a new Sony Xplod deck for my stock one. So what i did was i bought a harness adapter and i soldered the color matching with each other. Except the sony had an extra blue and the adapter had 2 extra oranges ones. I plug it in and it turned on fine and was working, i tried the aux port and it didn't work. The song started to play but very small and then the deck shut off. Now i tried to connect it back but it won't turn on at all. The fuse was blown so i tried to swap another fuse in and it blew too. How do i fix this whats the problem?

Also when i added the new deck in, my speedometer is acting weird now. When i turn on the car the needles would start tapping alot and then stop. Anyknown cause of idea?

Old 01-19-2012, 04:42 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by bxooo
...the sony had an extra blue and the adapter had 2 extra oranges ones....
Wires or connectors?

If it's wires, the extra blue should be for a power antenna or a remote turn-on lead for an amplifier, and I think the orange ones (at least one, anyway) is for the dimmer illumination on the head unit when the dash lights turn on. I know Crutchfield's harnesses have labelled wires (which is a huge help), but I don't know about others.

Does the AM/FM radio work?

Old 01-19-2012, 09:07 PM

They are wires, the blue, and extra oranges.

No the radio does not even work. the whole deck doesn't even turn on no more?

Here is the photo of the blue wire i was talking about
http://i42.tinypic.com/f42xoi.jpg

Last edited by bxooo; 01-19-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:41 AM
HCF Member

Ya the blue one is for an amp, if you don't have an amp then tape it up. Idk about the oranges. You have a short or something in the wires, it happens a lot. Go through the wires again and see if you made any mistakes, then tape off the extra wires.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:06 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Pull the unit out of the car and bench test it. Connect the black wire to - of a car battery and the red and yellow wires together to +. All other wires insulated from each other. If it won't come on at all, the unit is defective.

Blue wire is for power antenna, the head unit turns it on in radio mode only. A blue with a white stripe is to turn on external amplifiers, it comes on whenever the head unit power is on in any mode. If your installation has neither, tape up any blue or blue/white wires separately.

Tape off the orange wires separately. As the other guy said they are for lighting the stock unit and not used by most aftermarket units. Letting them short to ground will blow a fuse in the car and kill your tail lights and/or dash lights.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:59 AM

So i bench tested it and it turned on normally, bu still when i try to put it into radio spot with the harness adapter it still won't power on. By the way i soldered my ground to the harness' ground wire too, is that a problem?

Also when i plugged my stock back in, it doesn't work. either. The fuse underdash is fine and perfect, what could be the problem?

Old 01-24-2012, 12:02 PM
Recognized HCF Member

On older models there's another fuse under the hood. There's always two fuses, one for the always on power circuit and one switched by the key.