Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

'07 Civic Issue..

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 02:51 PM
Default '07 Civic Issue..

Whats up guys and gals!?

Before I talk about the issue I have recently encountered let me start off by saying I am brand new to this site and my Civic. So, I may be posting this in the wrong area.. or there was a posting about the same (or related) topic recently.... I am not sure and for that I apologize.

Now, as you can tell by the "Subject" I have just bought the '07 Civic Coupe. I have had a minor issue with the ignition. I am in Ontario, so, on the colder morning my car has had trouble starting (even though its a brand new car). At first, I would just put the key in the ignition and turn it normally. Sometimes, I would have to do this twice to turn the car on. I called up the dealership and asked if there is an issue with the ignition... or something they have had problems with, etc. The Honda representative told me that once I put the key in the ignition I should turn it once, twice (but not actually attempt to turn the engine on)... wait about 5-seconds (until the interior warning lights turn off) and turn it a third time to turn on the engine. He said doing this will allow the car to do a "self diagnostic test" before ignition. Now, the first couple times I did this the car started no problem, BUT once we had a colder morning the car had trouble starting once again.

So.... my question is.... 1. Has anyone heard of an issue regarding the ignition with the new Civics? 2. Could this be something I am doing wrong? 3. Is it the car I got? Maybe a lemon? And, 4. Is the Honda representative blowing smoke....?

Thanks everyone, please keep in mind I am a newbie and hopefully I am not making an *** out of myself.

Old 11-07-2006, 03:39 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: '07 Civic Issue..

Man, how spoiled people became with fuel nijected engines. Car does not start the very second you turned the key, and because of that it is lemon?
That's perfectly OK for any car to start harder when it is cold. As long as you don't have to crank it for minutes, I would not worry. As for dealership advice - I'm not sure about turning key three times(if I understood you correctly), but giving it a few seconds delay between turning key into power and starting the car is a good thing to do.

Old 11-07-2006, 10:39 PM

ORIGINAL: Misha

That's perfectly OK for any car to start harder when it is cold. As long as you don't have to crank it for minutes, I would not worry.
I understand taking an extra couple seconds to start, but at some points the car just wouldn't start. I would have to take the key out of the ignition and try again. Then on the second attempt it usually starts no problem. Am I just being a spoiled, fuel injected brat?

Old 11-07-2006, 11:02 PM
HCF Member

Did not mean to offend you
If we are talking about something like -10 Celcius, I would say it is perfectly OK to try second time. Not sure why you have to take the key out of the ignition, though.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:01 PM

I bought this car for my daughter and she has had similar problems. I called the dealer and they told me that it must be the cold. Wait til spring and monitor it , cant be the cold in the spring.

[/align]
[blockquote]

[blockquote]

[blockquote]

I[/blockquote][/blockquote][/blockquote]

Old 02-17-2007, 12:43 AM
HCF Member

haa anyone thought of the battery? whats the cold cranking amps on the battery? if you get a stonger battery, it might hold up better in the cold. because batteries are less powerful and dont last as long in the cold weather. just a thought.....

Old 02-17-2007, 01:09 AM

*cough* warranty *cough*.. blow the ignition up and get a new one for free! :P

Old 02-17-2007, 10:29 AM
HCF Member

i think you should use the word starting rather than ignition.
the turning the key deal was to do a diagnostic test - dont know the precedure or where the readout is. Do you - should be in the manual.
get that results.

hate to say that a new car would need a block heater, but if it was mine, i would install one. dont do like i did in north dakota and do it at 10 below zero. but i would put one in - save the battery and have heat as soon as you start