Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1990 Civic Hatch Standard 1.5

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 05:32 PM
Default 1990 Civic Hatch Standard 1.5

Hi everyone, I just acquired a 1990 Honda Civic Standard trim with 1.5 and manual transmission. 82k original miles and I got it from the original owner.

The car has been sitting in a garage without being run since 2002, so about 11 years or so. Its in good shape, but I am unable to get it running.

Here is what I have done so far:

drained tank and added fresh fuel along with a fuel system cleaner

checked oil to make sure there was some (plan on changing it after i get it running)

replaced cap, rotor because they were corroded and replaced plugs

I turned it over but it didn't fire, so I checked spark and had none.

I narrowed it down to the coil being bad, so I replaced it and it does fire now on ether, but doesn't stay running.

I think that it is more than likely a fuel system issue. Either gummed or non-working injectors, plugged fuel filter or bad pump.

Any other ideas of how to check the fuel system components?
Thank you!

Attached Thumbnails 1990 Civic Hatch Standard 1.5-2013-08-29-07.10.14.jpg   1990 Civic Hatch Standard 1.5-2013-08-29-07.10.27.jpg  
Old 09-01-2013, 03:09 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Change the oil first. There's very likely some condensed water in there, which will cause immediate damage if you run with it. Timing belt job would also be a good idea since they deteriorate from age not just miles. You may have the original rubber from 1990.

Disconnect the fuel return hose from the regulator back to the firewall, turn key on but don't crank, see if any fuel comes out. Also listen if the fuel pump runs. The pump is inside the tank, so you'll hear it under the back seat. If you have clean fuel flowing through the throttle body, look inside and see if any is coming out through the injectors. You may need to remove the injectors and clean them.

Everyone with a 1988 - 1995 model should also do this as a preventative:
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...-repair-89522/

Old 09-01-2013, 08:36 AM

Thx for the info.

I did this and got no fuel flow.

I dropped the tank and pulled the pump, bench tested the pump and it isn't working, but I also checked to see if I had power to the pump and I don't have that either. Is there another fuse that I can check to see if that is holding up power to the fuel pump?

Is it common to have both of them go out? Is there more tests that I can do?
Thanks
Ryan

Old 09-01-2013, 08:43 AM

Oh yea, I did do that DIY main fuse repair....not sure if maybe I messed up but my joints look great, I guess there could be more wrong with it, but it looked like a pretty simple relay.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:48 AM

a couple places online say fuse #23 under the dash is the fuel pump fuse, but there is no fuse #23....

Old 09-01-2013, 12:29 PM

Ok, It seems as if I narrowed it down to the fuel pump. The main relay is good now. I took it back apart, checked the joints, resoldered a couple and sprayed the thing down with contact cleaner. Wa-la, I have power to the fuel pump now, although it doesn't kick in, so I would say that is proof that the fuel pump is out. I may end up replacing the main relay anyways, but at least I know that the fuel pump is def. out. it was quite rusty on the bottom half, so it must have sat in bad fuel for quite a while, and eventually the fuel evaporated because there was hardly any old gas in there. I am probably going to pull the injectors and let them soak until I can afford to buy a new fuel pump next payday. So far I have about 400 tied up into the car, including the gas to tow it home, so I'd say it hasn't been such a huge investment yet. Hopefully once I get the new pump and get the injectors cleaned, I will have a good running car. I will replace the timing belt, sooner than later.

Thx
Ryan

Old 09-02-2013, 06:48 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Check fuse #14, second from the left in the top row. If the circuit is good you should get power to the fuel pump wire for 2 seconds every time you turn the key on and don't crank. The check engine light should come on for those two seconds then go out.

You may be able to free up the old fuel pump by filling it up with carb cleaner in the inlet in the bottom.