Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1995 Oil Light Flickering/On??

Old 01-06-2012, 05:21 PM
Default 1995 Oil Light Flickering/On??

I have a 95 Civic LX 4dr...bone stock. Its got just over 210K miles and has been running well until recently.

The other day while driving the oil light started to flicker, then blink, then it just stayed on (over the course of a few min). I stopped and checked the oil and it had plenty so I continued on since it wasn't overheating or running rough - I assumed it was just a bad sending unit since the car is 17 years old.

Fast forward a few days and the light continues to behave the same and now the engine is running rough - sounds like a bent rod maybe? Regardless there is plenty of oil.

I did notice that one of the cylinders is leaking oil as the spark plug did have a fair amount of oil on it, but I can't tell if its burning it or not because it doesn't run rough, no smoke, etc. I think it may just be leaking into the spark plug tube - failing gasket.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this oil light issue? It just recently had a new timing belt put on (few months ago) but I wouldn't think that would cause the problem.