Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 Coupe not starting :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 02:30 PM
Default 1997 Coupe not starting :(

hi all!

sorry for this being my first post, but never had any problems with my coupe before! its the older style'd civic (eg), 1.5 sohc 16v beast... got back from a club meet in my other car, and had to move the civic. started perfectly, moved it and turned it off. away to bed. next morning, got in the civic, and it is turning over, almost started once, then jsut keeps turning. want able to get to the sparks, so put a screwdriver in the ht lead and left it near the rocker cover, and no spark

i dont have a multimeter unfortunatly, so unable to test for voltages. the fuel pump primes ok, the fuses seem all ok (none found blown anyway). i wired up the data link connector to get error codes. the engine (yellow) warning light stayed on. and from what i have found, that means a possible blown ecu?

i was going to try and take the distributor cap off, however, when starting to unscrew the bolts, they were all begining to shear off! and tbh, i cant be bothered with the whole drilling them out, unless it is nessessary!

Anyone got any clues at all? PLEASE??? i need to use 2 cars, as where i live in scotland, its fooking cold, and walking is not an option (30 miles from work!). and as me and the misses work at differnt times, this is a huge incovinience!

Cheers all!

Old 01-07-2007, 05:02 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: 1997 Coupe not starting :(

I'm sorry, man, but it looks like a fried ECU. I ahd the same story, albeit on 92'. Check engine light just did not go off with ignition on, and no spark whatsoever. Had to replace ECU, was around $100 from a junkyard plus $70 to Honda dealer to tell me my ECU was fried.

Old 01-08-2007, 01:11 AM
Default RE: 1997 Coupe not starting :(

ohhh... thats not good.. arg. ah well.. will go scrappy looking!