Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Honda Civic electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 01:07 PM
Thumbs down 1998 Honda Civic electrical issues

Well I am having some issues with my Honda Civic. I purchased this car last Fall which had been hit in the rear driver's side door by a motorcycle. The car has been running without a hitch for several months. There has always been an issue with the dash lights coming on and off. Also the regular head lights stopped working after the car was towed for some non related repairs. I have been working around those issues. A couple weeks ago the car stereo started shutting off them immediately right back on. Last week this would happen and the car would die. It would start back up immediately however. I have drove it the rest of this past week everyday. I use this car to drive a route which takes roughly 90 minutes a day. The car has not done it until this morning when the route takes over 90 minutes. Some days it takes longer. Could this be a bad ground somewhere? If so any ideas where to look? I have also been told it could be a body computer by a backyard mechanic. I am taking it to shop in morning and want to give the guy all the info I can. Any help would be fantastic. When i bought the car I noticed it had a loose battery connection, so I tightened the cables. This is my first Honda and I can say I will never drive another car. I absolutely love it (even with all the little glitches.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:50 PM
Default 98 civic electrical issues

Hi, I'm new to this so I don't know if you gor it fixed. If you didn't then I have a good idea it's the ignition switch. We are on our third one. Start your car and wiggle the keys in switch. It may die or you may notice some electrical woes. If car dies while driving gently wiggle key in switch this will get you home safely.