Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2 Issues while replacing Headgasket, Water Pump, Timing belt.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 09:05 PM
HCF Member
Default 2 Issues while replacing Headgasket, Water Pump, Timing belt.

Civic 92 LX with 235,000 miles all stock...

Right now I'm in the middle of replacing my headgasket, water pump, seals, belts and timing belt.
But yesterday after taking off my distributor and then pulling all my sensors off the head, one of the sensors wires broke off like nothing. It was the wire for the coolant temperature sending unit, it's broken at the base of the wire that goes into the sensor, so there is no way to Maguyver it.

The other wires that goes to that same area seem kinda brittle, and may break as well. BTW I live in a small town, so there's no junkyards around to get a replacement of wiring.
Does anyone know if these wires are available through aftermarket? I've googled it and can only find Honda brand. I thought Rockauto had everything but I can't even find it on there..or was I searching for the wrong part name there?

My other issue was a foolish mistake.....
I changed my spark plugs a couple months ago, and found out JUST TODAY that I left the rubber piece from the spark plug socket on the spark plug all that time(2 months!!). Can't get it out from above with the socket, it seem to have melted enough so the socket has no grip of the rubber, but hasn't changed shape much(still round).
I have the head off right now..I could get it from the bottom where the tip of spark plug sticks out a bit, but will I really be able to loosen the plug by just turning it by the electrons tip thing (idk what it's called)?
I don't want to break off the tip and have another issue...

Any advice or help would be great!

Old 05-07-2016, 05:26 PM
HCF Member

Concerning the spark plug, does the socket fit down onto the shell (hexagon) or has the rubber expanded to prevent the socket from potentially loosening the spark plug?

If the socket can loosen the plug from above then it doesn't matter if the socket no longer grips the rubber. The head is removed from the engine so just turn it over and the loosened spark plug will fall out. If the melted rubber prevents the socket from reaching the hexagon can you pare down the rubber with a narrow chisel, turn the head upside down and blow out the rubber pieces, then use the socket to turn out the plug?

If enough thread on the spark end of the spark plug is showing you could screw on two thin nuts (14Mx1.25), lock them together, and unscrew the plug from below with a socket. However, I doubt enough thread is available.

By the way, I like magnetic spark plug sockets. No rubber to worry about.

Old 05-08-2016, 05:31 PM
HCF Member

I solved the 2 issued I had!
In case anyone comes upon the same issues I had:

For the broken wire(bullet wire) to the Coolant Temperature sending Unit, all I had to do was go to Walmart and buy some 10 gauge wire(thinnest wire they got) and splice connections with heat sink(various size pack). Striped the broken wire and connected it to to the smallest splice connection, then connected the other end of the splice to the 10 gauge wire I brought(cut enough wire to reach the sensor) and then I took ANOTHER splice connection(the biggest size in the pack), connected that bigger splice connection to the other end of the gauge wire.
The other end of the bigger splice connection will go to the Coolant Temp Sending Unit(after cutting some of the heat sink away, and using a phillps screwdriver with a hammer to to widen the connection to the sending unit)

So it looks like this:
Broken wire---------Small splice connection------------10 Gauge Wire-----------Bigger splice connection(goes to Coolant Temp sending unit)

-----------------------[iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii]---------------------------------------------[IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII)

For the spark plug socket rubber thing stuck(melted) onto the spark plug, I solved that by getting a pick and hook set from the auto store($8.99), it was pretty easy to get out. The pick set also solved my latest issue with a broken PVC valve.

BTW...finished my head gasket,water pump and timing belt job today, took 5 FULL DAYS to get done. This is my 1st head gasket job.
Took it for a good test drive on the highway and afterwards checked for leaks twice....all is GOOD!
I thank GOD for giving me strength and patience to do this job....I few months ago I thought I could never do it.

Last edited by Mecca8383; 05-08-2016 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:18 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by mecca8383
maguyver it.
lol..