Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2000 Honda Civic Radio - HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 11:30 AM
HCF Member
Default 2000 Honda Civic Radio - HELP!!!

I just recently purchased a 2000 honda civic w/the factory radio installed. I followed the instructions of the "installdoc" PDF's that I got off this forum to do an aftermarket install (Pioneer DEH-P400ub iPod deck) and have run into a wall.

Last night I went to plug the deck in and when I turned on the ignition... nothing. At first I thought I may have wired the harness wrong, or the new deck I had purchased was bad. To veryify if this was the case or not I figured I'd just plug the factory deck back in, so when I did... NOTHING!

Now nothing works! Neither the factory or aftermarket decks work! What did I do wrong? I've checked the pins on the wiring harness of the civic w/a multi-meter and it's putting out 12V. The only remaining thing I can think of is this: Does everything else (A/C controlls, cigarette lighter, power mirror controls) have to be hooked up as well in order for the deck to work? I haven't done that yet because I'm afraid I'll get it all back together and it still won't work. That would be a pain in the @$$.

If anyone has experience or could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it!

Old 10-07-2008, 11:58 AM
Recognized HCF Member

A broken or disconnected ground wire is a possible explanation. Check whether the black ground wire has continuity.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:03 PM
HCF Member

when I used the multimeter I put the negative (black) probe into the pin (black wire) on the harness. Would that rule out the possibility of the ground wire issue?

Old 10-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by iamsomewhere
when I used the multimeter I put the negative (black) probe into the pin (black wire) on the harness. Would that rule out the possibility of the ground wire issue?
I am not sure I understand what you did. You need to use your multimeter to verify that the black wire has continuity with ground, such as the metal frame under the dash.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:21 PM
HCF Member

yeah... that's what I meant. When I used the multimeter I checked both the frame (had continuity) and the black wire (had continutiy) via the radio harness plug.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:23 PM
HCF Member

any other thoughts? What about the dash re-assembly idea I was talking about in the original post? Does it matter if everything else is hooked up or not? Or should the radio just work regardless?

Old 10-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by iamsomewhere
any other thoughts? What about the dash re-assembly idea I was talking about in the original post? Does it matter if everything else is hooked up or not? Or should the radio just work regardless?
No, the radio should work independently of other components. This is verified by your ability to detect 12V from the hot wire and continuity from the ground wire.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:12 PM
HCF Member

Did the 2000 civics have a radio anti-theft device? I've heard that there is a code that has to be re-entered if you change your battery or something along those lines. Could this have anything to do with it?

I'm just trying to figure out ANY possible reason... *head scratch*

Old 10-07-2008, 01:45 PM
HCF Member

might be repeating something, but did you check that both the +12V constant and the switched ignition (yellow and red wires) show 12 volts with the ignition on.

and did you check all your fuses including the one on the back of the actual radio

Old 10-07-2008, 02:00 PM
HCF Member

I'll double check everything after work tonight and report my findings.

I really appreciate everyone's help... thanks a ton!

Quick Reply: 2000 Honda Civic Radio - HELP!!!