Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Honda Civic Radio - HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 06:28 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Can you press out some of the strategically located metal tabs in the cage to lock the radio in the proper position?

Old 10-08-2008, 06:33 PM
HCF Member

I figured the metal tabs were just for holding the deck sleeve into the aftermarket install kit. You can't really bend the ones on the sides because of the brackets you see me holding on to in the first picture. They pretty much sit flush to the sides of the deck and any holes that are on it don't match up with the new deck.

Also, on top and bottom I don't see any way to bend the tabs?

Old 10-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Can you remove the cage from the center panel and then install the free cage over the radio? Then you should be able to access the upper and lower tabs to lock the radio to the cage/sleeve. Next, install the radio/sleeve unit back into the center panel.

Last edited by RonJ; 10-08-2008 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:52 PM
HCF Member

are these "upper and lower tabs" on the top and bottom of the sleeve (i'm assuming), or on the sides?

Old 10-08-2008, 06:58 PM
HCF Member

If you had this IN the car, it'd be held back by all the wires, and the backing of the dash. That could be a big reason for your problem. I've never heard of taking out the dash to install the deck, and then putting back in.. Sounds alittle odd, and how do you expect to attach the harness and wire everything if the deck is already in place.

Usually you have the dash installed, and with the deck hanging wire everything ,and then shove it (gently) back into the dash.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by xsteinbachx
If you had this IN the car, it'd be held back by all the wires, and the backing of the dash. That could be a big reason for your problem. I've never heard of taking out the dash to install the deck, and then putting back in.. Sounds alittle odd, and how do you expect to attach the harness and wire everything if the deck is already in place.

Usually you have the dash installed, and with the deck hanging wire everything ,and then shove it (gently) back into the dash.
The normal procedure for a radio installation in a 2000 Civic is to remove the entire center panel as shown in the pictures. I only know this because I also have a 2000 Civic.

Last edited by RonJ; 10-08-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:07 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by iamsomewhere
are these "upper and lower tabs" on the top and bottom of the sleeve (i'm assuming), or on the sides?
Use any tabs (top, bottom, and sides) in the free sleeve/cage that allow you to secure the radio in the desired position within the sleeve.

Last edited by RonJ; 10-08-2008 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:24 PM
HCF Member

if the deck is already in the sleeve I can't get to the tabs again to remount it to the aftermarket kit. It has to be done with the deck out of the sleeve.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:30 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Okay. With the sleeve installed into the center panel (as shown in your picture), you may be able to access metal tabs above and below the inserted deck to secure it. Access to the tabs from the rear of the inserted deck. Bending the tabs may require the use of a long flat-head screw driver.

Last edited by RonJ; 10-08-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:59 PM
HCF Member

your problem is here on the tab circled in the pic below

these tabs on each side of the radio are what hold the radio in place inside the cage. Push these tabs in toward the inside of the cage and put the radio back in. That should give the tabs enough pressure against the radio to click and stay in place.

Quick Reply: 2000 Honda Civic Radio - HELP!!!