Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2001 civic inner tie rod

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 08:44 PM
Default 2001 civic inner tie rod

1) Does anyone know the wrench size for the inner tie rod on a 2001 honda civic....looks like a 29 or 30mm

2) The work space looks tight without having to take out the whole steering assembly. Any ideas on what to use? (crowfoot wrench looks like the best possibility). Don't think I can use the inner tie rod tool as they look way too short for this year car.

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-05-2014, 09:48 AM

I'm doing this again as I thought I posted response and didn't see it on site.
(Maybe I don't know how this works as I'm not an "active poster"...)
Anyway, if you haven't got this done yet:
I just replaced my inner and outer tie rods on a 96, and both axles, and I don't have any special tools or ability.
To remove the inner tie rod requires no special tool and I'll give you the steps to get-r-done.
1. Get the car up where you will have plenty of room to get underneath and work.
Take off outer tie rod after disconnecting from wheel/hub assembly(this can be a lot of fun if the damn thing doesn't want to come apart)
2. Keep track of position/length of outer tie rod as related to steering box as you're now messing with your alignment and steering. (Some people count the turns as they remove the outer tie rod...some measure total length...?)
3. Now for the fun part, you can turn steering wheel, (or muscle), the steering gear box to extend the steering gear box shaft to a better, (outer), position so you can remove the boot and inner tie rod. (I wouldn't go crazy pulling it out as I think you can OVEREXTEND the steering gear box shaft and screw things up.) Just get it out enough so you can easily remove boot, (gotta take it off to put on new inner tie rod anyway).
4. After you get boot off, you'll see you just have to use a large wrench, (or crescent wrench), on inner-nut-surface of tie rod.
5. Make sure to replace the inner aluminum "nut-washer-thing" when putting on the new inner tie rod. (Note the position of the tabs and how they fit into "hidden" slots facing INWARD on shaft. Don't let the "outer slots" fool you as I spent way too much time and did a lot of swearing trying to make it all fit thinking the "outer" slots had something to do with the tabs on the "nut-washer-thing") Anyway....
6. Have fun, and I would replace boots if they have any tears, holes, etc. as they are about $40.00 at auto supply store and I found out the hard way that if you live in a "vehicle inspection state", like Virginia, they won't let you pass if these stupid boots aren't in good condition.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:28 AM

Hey tracystravels,
I still think you can get this done by yourself but please be aware of the shaft "OVEREXTENSION" thing I referred to previously.
I AM having problems myself because I pulled that shaft out too far.
I'm done tie rods twice before without troubles, but I think I goofed this time.
Just don't pull out the shaft too far and you'll be fine.
Good luck

Old 10-07-2020, 06:52 AM
Talking Reply to 2002 inner tie rod removal

Originally Posted by tracystravels
1) Does anyone know the wrench size for the inner tie rod on a 2001 honda civic....looks like a 29 or 30mm

2) The work space looks tight without having to take out the whole steering assembly. Any ideas on what to use? (crowfoot wrench looks like the best possibility). Don't think I can use the inner tie rod tool as they look way too short for this year car.

Thanks in advance!
It is 29mm. I found the 29mm crowfoot wrench hard to come by ($30 & 2+ weeks shipping Amazon.) Set of wrenches was $45 which I would likely never use again. There must be more 28mm wrench in demand/circulation so I ordered one of those ($13 2-day delivery) and I simply grinded it until it fit the inner tie hex where it screws into the rack. Worked real slick!!