Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

tie rod end info please

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 06:52 PM
Default tie rod end info please

[sm=dontgetit.gif]My 93 civ needs new tie rod ends, I already put one in but I duno if I did it right. Afterone was in it seemed to still drive the same, I duno ifI need any special tools or adjustments, if I do please tell, also could I have instructions to put em in, the manual was kinda vague

Old 03-18-2007, 10:09 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: tie rod end info please

Generally after you install the tie rod end you have to have the car aligned. You are changing the tie rod that attaches to the steering knuckle right.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:35 PM

right, okayi understand that

Old 03-19-2007, 09:49 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: civkid

[sm=dontgetit.gif]My 93 civ needs new tie rod ends, I already put one in but I duno if I did it right. Afterone was in it seemed to still drive the same, I duno ifI need any special tools or adjustments, if I do please tell, also could I have instructions to put em in, the manual was kinda vague
If you want to do a ghetto tie rod change, you want to mark off where the tie rod is positioned in relation to its distance from the other end of the tie rod (opposite the tie rod end). After you unscrew the tie rod end (the end with the boot) off, you want to screw the new tie rod end so that it is the same location (exactly) as the old one. Then, tightened the lock nut so that the tie rod end doesn't move.
Why? If the tie rod end is not in the same position, the steering wheel will be off. Toe-in is altered. This results in excessive tire tread wear... bad news.How to tell ifthe steering wheel is off? You can tell because the car will have a tendency to drift to the left or to the right when you are trying to drive straight.

I have no idea what you did so I can't say you did it right or not.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:10 AM

i did match em up, but im not sure if you need to getthe boltsas tight as possible or what