Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

outer tie rod end, regrease?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 03:18 PM
HCF Member
Default outer tie rod end, regrease?

folks,

I've done some searching but have been unable to find a post on this topic. when i turn my car when it is stationary even a slight bit, I hear a rather loud grinding noise. But when the car is in motion at a reasonable speed, above 30 mph, no noise whatsoever when steering.

btw, when the car is on jacks, no noise either when steering.

checked belt - ok no squealing;
checked p/s fluid - full okay

I took it to oreillys and had the guy listen to it and he said that it sounds like my outer tie rod end ball joint needs to be regreased. He then pointed me to a grease gun (which I bought) and told me that there should be a grease fitting on it.

I noticed that the outer tie rod end had a rubber cover at the top. Is this where the grease fitting is? Thanks in advance.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Do the test with the engine off (turn the key one click so the wheel is not locked). If it doesn't make noise it's something with the power steering.

I think the tie rod ends and ball joints are all sealed. If it's worn out, replacement is the only option. By the time a joint starts making noise, it is too late to grease it anyway.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:58 AM
HCF Member

Thank you mk for the quick response. As you suggested, I ran the test today and it has been confirmed that whether the car is on or off, it makes the noise. So it looks like my p/s system is not going bad but that the tie rod ends might be.

I'll double check on the re-greasing issue. There is a rubber cover on the top and it seems like there is a grease fitting there. But it might be just me. anyone try this before?

Old 01-14-2010, 12:04 AM

I looked at the tie rod ends on my car recently... there appears to be a grease fitting.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:01 AM
HCF Member

trust, are yours stock? I've seen replacement ones with the fittings. Mine has a rubber cover on the top. did you simply have to peel it back?

Old 01-14-2010, 11:05 AM

Mine have been replaced. Had it done at a shop because of alignment and lack of knowing what I was doing (now I am more familiar with steering/suspension than I was then). I'm not sure if they are OEM or not, probably not. In the top in the middle of mine there appears to be a grease fitting. It may be under your rubber cover.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:49 PM
HCF Member

I have confirmed what mk said earlier that the stock tie rod ends do not have grease fittings. I thought there was a bump and a rubber cover but it was just the shape of the joint and the rubber like substance was just years of crud. so it looks like a long term solution is to replace it. I suppose I could try to re-grease it with a new boot but that seems like a very messy job with the need for a special tool