Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2001 Civic SRS light on - but no trouble code!

Old 11-02-2006, 10:16 AM
Default 2001 Civic SRS light on - but no trouble code!

Hello.

I've been having a problem with the SRS light on my 2001 Civic recently (Civic DX, 1.7l). It stays on all the time (well, almost all the time - see below for an explanation).

I took it in to a Honda dealer, who diagnosed it as what they called an 'intermittent failure' with no trouble code. They reset the light, and it seemed to work. But, the light came back on by the time they got the car to the parking lot. They brought it back in, re-diagnosed it, and again there were no trouble codes coming up. The light remains on, and from what I understand this mean no air bag deployment in an accident.

Has anyone else expericned this? Any advice? Searching the net, I found a reference to this technicial service bulletin:

TSB #020103 -- SRS INDICATOR ON WITH NO SRS DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTC) SET. *TT *JB (NHTSA ID #10001811, FEBRUARY 01 2003)

...but I don't know what it might contain or how it impacts my situation. One person has told me it doesn't apply to the civic (he says it applies to the 2003 s2000) while another person has told me that it say to check the alternator charge voltage.

Now, back to the comment about it being on ALMOST all the time. Purely by fluke (it took me a week to get the car into the dealer, so there was a lot of time to watch how the light acted) I notice that if the car had been sitting for a while and running, that the SRS light would go out during the period of time that the engine fan had kicked on! I have no idea whay this would happen, and the dealer didn't seem to think it was important.

Also, the timing of the light coming on strangle coincided with a winterization and block heater installation (at the acura dealer where I bought the car used). Went in - no SRS light. Came out- SRS light on. Both the Acura dealer and the Honder dealer think its just a coincidence. ????

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Corey

Old 11-02-2006, 08:29 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: 2001 Civic SRS light on - but no trouble code!

it is not a service bulletin it is a service news,,,,,,,,,,,

they want you to chk the alternator output ,,possible bad voltage regulator ..

have a shop test the alternator putput is is 15 volts or above replace the alternator