Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2013 1.8 liter starter has no soleniod?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 01:39 PM
Default 2013 1.8 liter starter has no soleniod?

I have been having problems with the starter. When I turn the key sometimes nothing happens when I hit the start position. I then back the key off and try again and it starts perfectly. I took it to a shop to have the solenoid replaced because I have had the same problems with other cars and this was the solution. The mechanic says that they have to change the whole starter because this starter doesn't have a solenoid. I have yet to go to the shop, but does anyone know if this is true? And if so, what is used in place of the solenoid?

Old 03-14-2019, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by pelon88
I have been having problems with the starter. When I turn the key sometimes nothing happens when I hit the start position. I then back the key off and try again and it starts perfectly. I took it to a shop to have the solenoid replaced because I have had the same problems with other cars and this was the solution. The mechanic says that they have to change the whole starter because this starter doesn't have a solenoid. I have yet to go to the shop, but does anyone know if this is true? And if so, what is used in place of the solenoid?
I have been to the shop and I have seen the starter and it does not have a solenoid. The mechanic doesn't know what is used in place of a solenoid, but wants to sell me an expensive rebuilt starter. The starter is perfectly fine when it gets current, so I told him to reinstall the starter and I would try to solve the problem on my own. Does anybody know what is used in place of a solenoid to give the impulse to the starter?

Old 03-24-2019, 09:05 AM
HCF Member

How did you do with your solenoid problem? I just saw your post, and I'd assume that the solenoid is a stand alone solenoid like on many cars and trucks. Trace back from the starter along the path of the heavy red (+HOT) wire. It should be going back toward the battery. Somewhere along its path you should find the solenoid in the engine compartment. Hope this is some help for you. I know what it's like when you come to a dead end on a problem. Good luck.
Duane

Old 03-24-2019, 04:38 PM
HCF Member

This had me wondering, so I did a little searching today. Starters for a 1.8l 2013 Civic all come with the solenoid attached. Don't know why yours didn't have one unless the mechanic removed it. Check out Rockauto, Napa, Autozone, etc. and you'll see they all have the solenoid attached. They run from about $100-$145. Don't let your mechanic rip you off.
Duane

Old 04-21-2019, 07:28 AM

Sounds like your starter is working. some starters have an integrated solenoid, so if it fails, the whole starter gets replaced.

Since backing off the key allows starting, it sounds like the ignition switch has failed and needs replacing.
a failing ignition switch will have the following symptoms :
car randomly losses power (including dash, etc) (can happen while on a turn)
buzzing sound inside cabin while turning key from ACC to Run
Difficulty with starter

Old 11-12-2021, 07:58 PM
Default Resolution?

What ended up being the resolution?

I am having the same problem with a 2007 1.8L. No solenoid attached to the starter. It has to be somewhere, but where. I’ve traced everything, moved the air filter and battery to get a better look at everything wiring-wise.

Original starter. Tested good by Autozone bench test. Reinstalled.

I cannot find this solenoid for the starter and it’s driving me crazy.

I’ve ruled all other possible causes for starting issues (relays, starter, fuses, ignition switch, safety switch, theft prevention system)