Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 Civic AC/Dealer issues (hissing)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2023, 12:13 PM
Default 2017 Civic AC/Dealer issues (hissing)

This is my now third condenser warranty swap due to those failing. My AC had kicked out again this summer. This was a few weeks ago. While doing that they went ahead and did the compressor shaft seal which is also a new warrant AC leak. After that they couldn't get the compressor to turn back on. They recommended a new AC clutch and coil set. Fine I agreed. That day they said it was all set and blowing cold.

I went to pick it up and low and behold it was blowing hot. I took it back and they had it for two days. Finally coming up with it was a leaky Scraeder valve. They recharged it. Said it was working...and it was.

Even that day I noticed it seemed warm but then it was cold. Sometimes it would flop to humid and warmer. Two weeks later it's warmer and warmer. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. It's intermittent. For a time it worked flawless at idle for 15min. And driving was fine at LO Max fan but once I drop the fan speed to half or so the AC would stop and hot air would come in. Like the fan demand somehow was stopping the flow of freon? Ive had Hissing in the dash on startup that getting longer.

I took it back to the dealer and they say I need a new compressor. But honestly I don't believe them. They keep mentioning how they talk to Honda tech line to figure out these issues. I guess I would think if there was a dye in the system they could figure out the issue.

The fact that as part of the shaft seal replacement you need to run it at max cool for 10 minutes at 1500rpm to make sure it worked. If that was the case could all my refrigerant leaked out in a few hours from a leaky Scraeder? The fact it took them two days to figure it out that leak seems surprising?

What really steams my beans is with the compressor comes a new clutch and coil set. Which just cost a few hundred to install. I'm going to go to another shop dealer as I can't take them as knowing what they are doing. Am I crazy here? Replacing the compressor seemed like a guess for them. That it might work. But they should have heard the hissing. Plus they haven't handed me any paperwork...though free. I still would have expected a quote and this is what we did.

Last edited by Bradicus00; 07-13-2023 at 01:20 PM.