Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2nd hand peach turned lemon. Fix it, or list it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 07:53 AM
Angry 2nd hand peach turned lemon. Fix it, or list it?

I am torn, I like this car, but it has just had problem, after problem.
About a year ago I bought a 2002 Civic LX. This is my second civic(first was a '96 dx but also a 2dr coupe 5spd, but was MANUAL EVERYTHING)
Well I grabbed this little peach thinking it seemed pretty good, and the original owners kept pretty good records. This car had all the alterations already when it got to me.

It has 17" custom black rims (tire size 215/40 17)
Also has custom pedal covers(gas, brake, and clutch),Euro "halo" tail lights (which I bought to replace one that broke), alpine stereo receiver, and 4channel amp.

First issue was the tires. If i lived in town, and only drove on paved roads, I sure they would be fine. I live along HWY41 in cali, and there are pot holes GALORE! I also have a dirt driveway. This made for a sidewall blowout.
I replaced 2 tires. Just about 2 months ago, got a flat, and yeah, it was one if the new tires. Put some green slime hoping it would help, and it created a bulge in sidewall. This made the car shake like my engine mounts were loose or had a rotor issue. These tires are far from cheap, and no one has used ones. Anytime there is a tire issue, they are atleast $100 a pop!

The other issues, are little things that I have noticed while driving. Most recent is the acceleration issue. It was really hot the last week or so, and during this heatwave of 112, the civic didn't want to go. It is still having this issue. Also the battery I was told was new when I bought it. But about 4 months later the battery leaked Acid all over its plastic case.
This car has high mileage too, so I am thinking that more and more problems are going to start popping up.

Help me out, should I fix it, or list it, and change it up?

Old 08-13-2012, 03:01 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Go back to stock wheels and tires, or maybe aftermarket 15s. 17s are just too large for the car. The battery may be leaking because the car is overcharging it. Check the voltage at the battery with the engine running but everything else off, it should be less than 15 volts.