Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

88 Hatch won't start, mysterious shrapnel

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 12:15 AM
Default 88 Hatch won't start, mysterious shrapnel

Hey, I've got an 88 crx hatch which his been running just fine until today. It was really hot the last few days, and I haven't been driving it, so went out to start it up today and found some pieces of shrapnel which I can't identify (pics attached) and the car won't crank at all.

It looks like some sort of plug/seal that just swelled too much in the heat and burst, but I've never seen it before, and don't know why it would cut my power. They were on the floor mat, near the pedals.

Any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails 88 Hatch won't start, mysterious shrapnel-1.jpg   88 Hatch won't start, mysterious shrapnel-2.jpg  
Old 06-03-2011, 03:54 AM
HCF Member

....Near the pedals hmm?
I don't have an 88 hatch but that pointy piece looks like it belongs to the brake pedal..it keeps the brake lights off. Maybe it broke off & the brake lights stayed on without you even knowing for who knows how long...therefore draining your battery.

If it really if for the brakes(pedal) then it's an easy fix...get some super glue(or tape) & an penny, replace where the pointy thing was at & you're done.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:23 AM
Recognized HCF Member

There is also one on the clutch pedal that presses the starter interlock switch. That is the switch that won't allow the starter to run unless the clutch pedal is pressed all the way down. When the rubber part falls out the car will not start. If you need to go somewhere you can roll-start it or jump the switch.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mecca8383
....Near the pedals hmm?
I don't have an 88 hatch but that pointy piece looks like it belongs to the brake pedal..it keeps the brake lights off. Maybe it broke off & the brake lights stayed on without you even knowing for who knows how long...therefore draining your battery.

If it really if for the brakes(pedal) then it's an easy fix...get some super glue(or tape) & an penny, replace where the pointy thing was at & you're done.
It was indeed from the brake pedal, and my battery is indeed dead. I'll be trying your penny trick. Thanks, guys!!