Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

'91 Civic DX dieing...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 11:31 AM
Default '91 Civic DX dieing...

Not really sure what's going on here, I'll try to explain the problem as best I can.

I let the car sit for about 3 months due to work...I came back and had an engine stutter, problem has gotten worse, to the point now where usually around 55-60 MPH, sometimes it will stutter, the car stops responding to the gas pedal, and i have to pull it over, and then the battery light comes on and the car just dies on its own.

I turn it right back on, and start driving again.

This happens every 50 or 100 miles or so, sometimes 4 or 5 times in a row...engine stutter, car stops responding to pedal, pull over, dies, turn over, drive off again.

Really annoying and not very safe.

I checked the battery, the alternator, and the starter and they're all good.

I replaced the fuel filter about 300 miles ago.

I'm thinking the gas pedal has something to do with this, as well as the car just dieing when it slows down...

Any ideas? Thanks.

-JT

Old 03-31-2013, 03:39 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Check for ECU codes. They are shown by blinking a LED on the ECU itself. You can see the LED by pulling down the carpet where the passenger's feet would be.

Turning the key on but don't start is all you need to activate the LED. If the LED stays out (it will always blink once when the key is first turned on, but that is not a code), check again after it dies. When it dies check the LED before turning the key off or trying to restart.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:28 AM

Thanks, I tried pulling up the carpet, couldn't do it.

But after more research, signs led to a bad relay. I changed it, took it for a test drive and it seemed to fix it...but that's also what I thought when I changed the fuel filter, so I don't know. It's an intermittent problem, but after taking apart my old main relay, this is what it looks like so I'm assuming it was just corroded solder joints:

https://i.imgur.com/nmcgrZ0.jpg

I know nothing about cars, but this looks like a bad relay to me.

-Tyler

Old 04-13-2013, 11:15 AM

UPDATE: Found the ECU, it's throwing me a 15 - Ignition Output Signal.

Installed new relay didn't fix the problem.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:43 AM
Recognized HCF Member

This guy recently had the same problem:
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...de-15-a-95163/
But he didn't post back with the resolution. It's either the ICM or the ECU.

Code 15 doesn't have anything to do with the main relay but it's a good idea for everyone with a 88 to 95 model to resolder theirs anyway since they are very likely to go bad sometime.