Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

91 civic engine shut off

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 09:00 PM
HCF Member
Default 91 civic engine shut off

Hey some of you may remember me a few months ago I bought a 91 honda civic hb d15 etc. I've done a few things to it in the last few months but lately it has been acting up. I put in a new alternator, distributor, and fuel filter. I even bought a new battery. Just in this last week or two recently I'll be driving just fine no acceleration problems or anything then all of a sudden the engine will just turn off. So I got to autozone get a new battery because I had a ****ty one before thinking that the battery is getting drained. I was about to leave the parking lot sitting waiting for traffic to clear up and the engine just shuts off again. So I roll back to autozone and they test the battery and alternator(perfectly fine) I had this problem a while back and messing with the map sensor helped. I unhooked it, let it run then hooked it back up. drove around the parking lot and autozone thinks I need a new map sensor for 250!!! I went to the junk yard got one off another honda same part number everything. Hook it up and it ran even worse. I just don't know what to do can anyone guide me or give me an idea of what i need to do? sorry for the long story. oh and the new one I got from the junk yard is in way better condition than my old one. Even when the car was running it still had a miss as well. I can go into further detail if needed. Thanks for reading

Old 09-02-2011, 06:55 AM
Recognized HCF Member

When the engine cuts off, before you touch the key trying to restart, note if the oil and battery warning lights on the dash come on. They should be on any time the key is on but the engine is not turning. If the lights are out, jiggle the key some and if they come on, that means the ignition switch is bad, which is rather common.

Can you restart immediately after it cuts off? Can you keep it going by pressing the gas pedal, i.e. it drives OK but won't idle?

Last edited by mk378; 09-02-2011 at 06:58 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:18 PM
HCF Member

i will keep note of the oil and battery lights. After the engine shuts off I can not restart it immediately. For example it happened today. I was leaving work. I turned my car on letting it sit for a little bit and revving it up to warm up. I start to leave the parking lot and get to a stop light. I am in first going about 20 and I go to get into second and the car shut off again. So I roll to a gas station, un plug the map sensor, try to start it or course it doesn't, plug it back in and it starts right up. And when my car is idling it has a little bit of a miss in it and you can clearly hear it.