Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

91' civic not getting fuel? won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 10:22 AM
Default 91' civic not getting fuel? won't start

Car was running and all of the sudden it stoped. Fora while I had a battery on my passenger seat andwas able to jump it at will.After that I had to givethe chokea shot of starting fluid to get it to fire up. Once it starts it does not die andshows no signs of an issue. Now I can only get it to run on ether but dies once I stop.It screams like it didbefore when I had to usestarting fluid but now it won't catch, almost like its not getting fuel.I removed the spark plugs and they were saturated in oil, cleaned/sanded them but still nothing.

Would like to check the feul relay fuse next, this islocated in the fuse box yea? All the visible30 amp fuses are fine if so. Also is the fuel pump in the tank or accessable? Have I overlooked anything else?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:32 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: 91' civic not getting fuel? won't start

In a quiet place, when you turn the ignition key to ON, do you hear the click of the main relay (see diagram; your relay is located in equivalent position on left driver's side) and the low humming noise of the fuel pump in the rear (gas tank)? If not, you may need to re-solder the main relay circuit board:

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/mainrelayfix/index.html

Name:  picture_1111.jpg
Views: 16484
Size:  109.2 KB

Old 06-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Default RE: 91' civic not getting fuel? won't start

Thanks Ron. I'm 95% sure I hear both thefuel pump hums*and main relay clickafter just checking now.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:19 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: 91'

Is the check engine warning light ON? If so, check the code(s) blinking from the ECU LED (see below).

To clarify, am I correct in thinking that the starter motor cranks the engine but it won't start?

Also check for spark at each of the plugs. You may currently have both a fuel and ignition problem.

Name:  picture_1112.jpg
Views: 7462
Size:  110.0 KB

Old 06-29-2008, 11:59 AM

My car needed a jump most of the time but sometimes I got lucky. My battery is less than 2 years old and is showing green in the little window but this could be a separate problem. The check engine light turns on intermittently after a failed start.

Anyways I just went outside to check the led like you said and for whatever reason my car started right up with no ether and off a half dead by now batter. The ecu showed 16 blinks and according to your chart is a problem with the feul injection which makes perfect sense. Any advice where to go from here Ron? Thanks again you'v been awesome.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:11 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Typically, code 16 points to a bad main relay or fuel pump. Start with the main relay. The 88 Civic manual (see link below) details how to troubleshoot the main relay.

Also try cleaning the battery terminals and connectors with a wire brush. They need to be making good metal to metal contact. Also check the connection of the battery ground wire to the body frame. It may be loose or corroded.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:30 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The main relay has been a problematic part on these cars and should always be resoldered or replaced in case of this type of problem. Ron's picture is of a right side driver car. The USA model is a mirror image and the main relay is on the left side panel, above the hood release lever.

Make sure your battery connections are tight.

You can check for fuel flow from the pump by disconnecting the fuel return hose. Loosen the gas cap first to relieve pressure. The return hose goes from the fuel pressure regulator on the throttle body to the firewall where it connects to the metal line back to the tank. Disconnect the firewall end and direct it into a container. Turn the key on but do not start, fuel should come out during the priming period.

If you do need to work on the fuel pump it is rather easy to do since an access panel to the top of the tank is provided under the back seat. You do not need to remove the fuel tank from the car.