Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 honda civic lx not getting spark

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 12:23 PM
Default 92 honda civic lx not getting spark

i have a 92 honda civic lx everything works its got a raceing push button start i was hookin up the tach yester day and when it was time to hook it up to the ignition coil my friend cut through the black and yellow positive and blue negitive cable to the distributor behind the plug mounted on the side of it to hook them up the but i told him that there not supose to hook there and spliced the wires back together but now when i try and start the car it turns over but its not getting spark from the distributor all the power to everything else work just not getting it to the distributor can anyone help me cause i have tried everything

Old 02-24-2010, 01:07 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Actually, the tach should be connected to the blue wire. That wire leads into the car and up to the cluster (also a blue wire) for the stock tach. All models are wired that way, even the DX's that didn't have a stock tach.

But that's beside the point. For now, disconnect the tach until you get the car running again.

Check for power on the small terminals of the coil, both should have battery voltage. The ICM could be blown. You can remove it from the distributor and have it tested, many parts stores have a tester.

Do not let the coil fire into an open circuit (cranking the engine with the cap off), that can blow the coil. You can hold a grounded test wire near the coil output to allow it to spark into a closed circuit. If only small yellow sparks are produced, almost always that means the coil is bad. If nothing at all happens, suspect the ICM more.

Last edited by mk378; 02-24-2010 at 01:13 PM.